Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice Gets "KDE 5" Integration That's A GTK3/KDE5 Hybrid

Phoronix: LibreOffice Gets "KDE 5" Integration That's A GTK3/KDE5 Hybrid

It's unfortunately too late for the upcoming LibreOffice 6.0 open-source office suite that was branched two weeks ago, but its next release will feature a KDE5 desktop back-end...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

At least ... the GTK3 Filechooser and its lack of customization is (beside the extremly low redraw-performance) a real pain in the a**.
    The filechooser is actually the main reason why I don't migrate from xfce->cinnamon, and why I will switch away from xfce once they fully port it to GTK3.

Comment

Being merged today to LibreOffice mainline Git is a KDE5 back-end that is mostly the existing KDE4 back-end ported to using Qt5 and KDE Frameworks 5.

Immediately following that commit was the GTK3_VC5 VCL plug-in. This code mostly displays the GTK3 version of the LibreOffice user-interface but replaces the file and folder picker with that of KDE's KF5 dialogs.
      I'm confused. Are those two separate options (Qt5/Kf5 and GTK3/Kf5), or it's one that combines all the above: Qt5, GTK3 and Kf5? I wish there would be pure Qt/Kf5 option.
      Last edited by shmerl; 23 January 2018, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Yep, fully agree. I already switched away from xfce4 to Plasma. It takes a lot longer to build on gentoo, but runtime is almost just as light. Hell, with 16GB of RAM a few hundred MBs aint nothing. It was well worth the switch. Thankfully LO will have better integration, GTK3 standard dialogs suck ass super hard on it.

Comment

Sounds great to use the KF5 file chooser! Then we just need to wait for KIO support, I have some webdav nextcloud network folders that I would like to use.

Comment

Perfect.

Comment

Now if only Firefox could have this without the Opensuse patches.

Comment

As long as this doesn't add dependencies, this sounds good to me.

Comment

Whenever I build LibO with gtk3 lately I ran into problems. Some KDE/KF5/plasma5/whatever integration is overdue, but I want as little gtk3 mess as possible.
                  Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

It sucks that it requires the KDE framework I would appreciate a Qt5 version.

Comment

Working...
                    X