No announcement yet.

Using Dual 4K Monitors Stacked With GNOME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not exactly a comment on Gnome, but for multi-monitor setups, especially 4k, you should try a tiling wm, if only for an hour, to see if it's something that might improve your workflow. I recently switched to i3, and it's been a great experience. If anyone likes the idea of tiling wm, but just found the past experiences too intimidating, check it out.

Xmonad was always too bloated, and eventually I would hit the wrong keybinding and mess up the windows. With i3, it's really simple and you never really find yourself using the mouse. Also, it doesn't do that animation that gnome does when you launch something. If you open a new tile on one screen, whatever is going on on the other screen doesn't flash or become shadowed.

Keybinding is simple. Alt+enter gets you a terminal, Alt+d starts an app, Alt+arrows moves you from tile to tile, and Alt-Shift-arrows moves your selected window around. And if an app freezes and won't quit, Alt+Shift+q kills it. And, that's pretty much it. There are other ones, but I've never learned or used them, and doubt I ever will.

If anyone decides to try it and likes it, they should also look at i3lock-blur. It's a screen-locker that blurs everything so that you can kind of see the tiles, but not really see anything. It looks really cool.

Comment

Were you running Xorg or Wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post
        Were you running Xorg or Wayland?
        It has to be Xorg as Gnome + nVidia blob + Wayland combo doesn't support Xwayland, which is required for Firefox / Chrome.

Comment

There's nothing quite like burying everything as many clicks away as possible, hell lets just make desktop icons impossible for fucks sake! Why not, it's just one more excuse to remove everything from one click access.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            There's nothing quite like burying everything as many clicks away as possible, hell lets just make desktop icons impossible for fucks sake! Why not, it's just one more excuse to remove everything from one click access.
            Are you complaining about Gnome?

Why are you clicking anything?

Hit the Win / Super key and type the first few letters. It'll pop up and you hit Enter.

Who the fuck (since you're using profanity today) can even see their desktop icons? I have them on Windows but hardly ever use them. I can't see them, mostly.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              The closest I've had is about once every few days one of the displays will have like a really long vblank for 3~5 seconds. Just seems to be a timing issue, reclocking snafu, or something else and only happens every couple days for that brief amount of time so haven't bothered looking into it.
              I had very similar symptoms with a 60Hz 4K display and my laptop a couple of years ago. It was more often than every few days for me. Once an hour. It was the DisplayPort losing sync and reconnecting. In my case because of a not-good-enough cable. I read a pile of reviews and ordered a new one off Amazon and I haven't had any display flicker since.

Not all DP and HDMI cables are really up to spec. When you're pushing 4K@60 video that's a lot of bandwidth. Even more if you want to try an OLED HDR display, or 4K@120

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post

I had very similar symptoms with a 60Hz 4K display and my laptop a couple of years ago. It was more often than every few days for me. Once an hour. It was the DisplayPort losing sync and reconnecting. In my case because of a not-good-enough cable. I read a pile of reviews and ordered a new one off Amazon and I haven't had any display flicker since.

Not all DP and HDMI cables are really up to spec. When you're pushing 4K@60 video that's a lot of bandwidth. Even more if you want to try an OLED HDR display, or 4K@120
                Older HDMI cables (< HDMI 2.0) are only rated for 10.2Gbps and I've heard some/most can't reliably handle 4K@60 (HDMI 2.0) which needs 18Gbps cables. There is even a third upcoming HDMI 2.1 48Gbps cable. I suspect that is the reason I have weird sync issues with my 4K60 TV. Of course they don't really seem to advertise that you need different cables and you can't easily tell looking at them like with eg USB.

FWIW they have do have 'naming':

Standard HDMI Cable 10.2Gbps
                Premium High Speed HDMI Cable 18Gbps
                Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable 48Gbps

Comment

Originally posted by calc View Post

Older HDMI cables (< HDMI 2.0) are only rated for 10.2Gbps and I've heard some/most can't reliably handle 4K@60 (HDMI 2.0) which needs 18Gbps cables. There is even a third upcoming HDMI 2.1 48Gbps cable. I suspect that is the reason I have weird sync issues with my 4K60 TV. Of course they don't really seem to advertise that you need different cables and you can't easily tell looking at them like with eg USB.

FWIW they have do have 'naming':

Standard HDMI Cable 10.2Gbps
                  Premium High Speed HDMI Cable 18Gbps
                  Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable 48Gbps

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Cables
                  Unfortunately on a television you're stuck with HDMI. Display Port is such a superior cable. And a self-latching connector that actually works flawlessly and is easy to release with one hand and no visibility.

Display port is also currently royalty free, and HDMI has a royalty fee. I have no idea why HDMI is more prevalent than DisplayPort..

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post

Are you complaining about Gnome?

Why are you clicking anything?

Hit the Win / Super key and type the first few letters. It'll pop up and you hit Enter.

Who the fuck (since you're using profanity today) can even see their desktop icons? I have them on Windows but hardly ever use them. I can't see them, mostly.
                    So instead of one click with one hand in one motion, you want me to pull out the keyboard, get my hands comfortable and then start typing? Besides pulling out the keyboard the super key is only one button away.

Comment

How does workspace shifting function with this setup? Is it basically one "main" screen which handles all of the workspaces and one extra screen which is its own separate workspace?

Comment

Working...
                      X