Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Dual 4K Monitors Stacked With GNOME

Phoronix: Using Dual 4K Monitors Stacked With GNOME

The past month or so on my main production workstation I have been using two 28-inch 4K displays in a stacked configuration rather than side-by-side. The workflow has been working out nicely and I just wanted to relay some thoughts.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have a question.

Was there any tearing when testing the displays?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      I have a question.

Was there any tearing when testing the displays?
      I don't run any games but in terms of tearing from glxgears or windowed YouTube videos once in a while or the like, I haven't encountered any sort of tearing or rendering imperfections. The closest I've had is about once every few days one of the displays will have like a really long vblank for 3~5 seconds. Just seems to be a timing issue, reclocking snafu, or something else and only happens every couple days for that brief amount of time so haven't bothered looking into it.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I do a vertical dual monitor setup at work. It's great for productivity, since it saves a lot of desk space, while also being a little easier to control the mouse (the mouse has a shorter distance to move across 2 vertical screens than it does 2 horizontal screens).

Comment

Any issue defining the primary monitor?

To move a window to the secondary monitor, you have to drag it upward/downwards or GNOME think that the monitor are side-by-side? ( I had this issue with XFCE)

The apps open in the middle of the 2 screens or they remember which monitor to open?

What happens when you disconnect one and reconnect, they recover their previous configuration of the 2 monitors?

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
            Any issue defining the primary monitor?

To move a window to the secondary monitor, you have to drag it upward/downwards or GNOME think that the monitor are side-by-side? ( I had this issue with XFCE)

The apps open in the middle of the 2 screens or they remember which monitor to open?

What happens when you disconnect one and reconnect, they recover their previous configuration of the 2 monitors?
            GNOME has been working great with its monitor layout/configuration, no complaints. It can handle fine in any arrangement configured via the settings area. And apps respect the monitors available.
            Michael Larabel

Comment

Few questions (I'm not about to buy 4k display, just curious). Since it is (high end) TN panel, does it suffer from same thing most of the low-mid range TN displays suffer? For example, when viewing and scrolling page with graphs on phoronix benckmarks red bar have slight (or very visible, depending on display) shift towards pink-ish color, on 3 low end displays I've used recently, all of them had that problem.
              This page for example: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...n-artful&num=2

Are viewing angles really what it says in specification? Because what most manufacturers in past considered as "view angle" could easily be described as false advertising, all of the 3 displays from above were advertised as "170/160 (H/V)", and it's nowhere near those specs..., 170 is 85 degrees from center, that's almost perfect angle, but already at 45 (and maybe less on some) degrees you can see shift in brightness of the display (white shifts towards yellow).

Does it have ghosting (potentially, red to pink shift might be effect of shosting)? When I read text on forum, unlike CRT's, letters get slight blur while scrolling, making it dificult to read.

This is not brand specific, all of the displays are lower end, and from different manufacturers (ASUS, Benq, Viewsonic).

Comment

serious question, do you get neck strain? looking up and down a lot is harder than scanning left/right as far as I understand it

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
                  serious question, do you get neck strain? looking up and down a lot is harder than scanning left/right as far as I understand it
                  No next strain yet, at least with my height and angle of displays.
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

@Michael:
                    What is the power draw at idle??? And does it ever go into power saving (non P0 state)?
                    Last edited by Guest; 23 January 2018, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X