KDE Plasma 5.12 Reaches Beta With Faster Start-Up Time, Better Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by theghost View Post
    Maybe you should try 5.12, where startup was improved...
    Yeah, I'm waiting for it to come to Debian testing before further digging into it, since developers didn't really explain if they addressed that redesign or not. If 5.12 will still lag like this, I'll spend more time investigating what's going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
      I'm not a KDE user and I happily deal with it by not caring what other people use.
      Then you better not comment on the issue, it's not helping.

Comment

Originally posted by acobar View Post

shmerl, I also had a problem with slow startup on KDE and used a workaround for it. You can see my thoughts on your bug report (and note that I presented them as wild guesses). Check if it can, somehow, help you too.

Best regards.
        Thanks! I'll take a look.

Comment

Originally posted by sunweb View Post
          As for bug report, its understandable. Bug reports need t be more specific. Opening a bug report and write down "make it fast damit!" and afterwards guessing what might be the culprit is a bad report.
          And this problem was known to KDE devs and all users, there is no point to report for something when its easily visible to everyone.
          Well, think about it from the user perspective. If users would have known what the problem is, they could report a specific bug. But it's far from obvious, and what can be observed is an extremely long login time. There is nothing wrong with reporting it as an issue. If developers think this is already reported and they are doing something about it, sure, they can point to those other bugs and just close the report. But expecting to provide detailed report about the cause of the issue assumes only developers can report such bugs.

I'm a programmer personally, so I can spend time profiling and analyzing things, but not everyone can, and it should not be an expectation for bug reports.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

Meh, I guess they didn't have a big userbase, and from dev standpoint, they focus on Cinnamon. What value did Mint KDE add over KDE Neon or Kubuntu?
            A couple of GTK GUI tools (mintupdate, mintsoftware, mintdrivers), which caused confusion, but were helpful for us noobs.
            I have nvidia card so mintdrivers was making my life easier in a nice way. And even though I can see why Mint team would want to have an all-GTK ecosystem, another reason to dump KDE comes to mind and that is it's lack of support for nvidia cards. Linux Mint wants to be the go-to distro for any noob, not just AMD fans.

I'll probably have to buy something with Intel GH series now and install Manjaro or Neon. But it was fun as long as it lasted.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
              Then you better not comment on the issue, it's not helping.
              Your garbage "bug report" is not helping either, yet you feel the need to write about it all the time.
              Last edited by Awesomeness; 16 January 2018, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

Your garbage "bug report" is not helping either,
                It surely won't help you, since you aren't using KDE and you don't care either. So move along and stop trashing the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

Meh, I guess they didn't have a big userbase, and from dev standpoint, they focus on Cinnamon. What value did Mint KDE add over KDE Neon or Kubuntu?
                  I was planning to this year on 18.04 LTS from their Cinnamon edition to their KDE edition.
                  Why?
                  On my old laptop KDE kicks-ass compared to Cinnamon.
                  KDE starts with 350 MB or RAM and it feels faster than Cinnamon which starts with 1 GB of RAM and it feels slower.
                  Seriously, they should've ditched their Cinnamon because it has a lot to catch up compared to KDE and because they didn't even started with support for Wayland which will take years to accomplish.
                  Mint KDE has some advantages that I like over KDE Neon or Kubuntu
                  - Mint updater, the best updater I have ever seen in Linux and Windows world, I can even upgrade the kernel from it, which gives me improved performance.
                  - Mint bug reporter, recently created, it's always nice to have a easy tool to report bugs
                  - Nice defaults like the awesome included wallpapers and the dark taskbar
                  - Huge community who reports and donates to fix bug and to improve the OS.

Kubuntu doesn't have the features above, even though that I'm hearing that it will come with a dark taskbar by default so it got one feature, but I wish they should've included the Mint updater instead of what comes by default with Kubuntu.
                  KDE Neon, I cant even call it a distro, it's too barebones, I think it's only good for testing new versions of KDE in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                    Mint KDE has some advantages that I like over KDE Neon or Kubuntu
                    - Mint updater, the best updater I have ever seen in Linux and Windows world, I can even upgrade the kernel from it, which gives me improved performance.
                    - Mint bug reporter, recently created, it's always nice to have a easy tool to report bugs
                    - Nice defaults like the awesome included wallpapers and the dark taskbar
                    - Huge community who reports and donates to fix bug and to improve the OS.
                    Fair enough.

Comment

My big issue with KDE Plasma + Wayland is oddities with multi-monitors. This is on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed

The #1 thing I can think of is when I use yakuake and press the hotkey to open it, it only opens on the monitor I have my last active "window" in instead of the monitor my mouse cursor is currently in.

Separate display scaling on different monitors is a problem too even though it's allegedly an option. And when doing any scaling fonts tend to get really fuzzy and difficult to read.

I haven't tried 5.12 yet. Going to wait for it to hit stable in the repos.

Comment

Working...
                      X