DragonFlyBSD Lands Fixes For Meltdown Vulnerability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
    Dillon is beyond incredible. Dragonfly, when it works, works great. I have it in VMs, but it doesn't seem to run natively on my AMD hardware, probably my fault. (1)And since it's BSD, forget about any AMD GPU more recent than 6XXX series. HAMMER2 is so far incredible, hasn't corrupted itself unlike every single btrfs array I've built. btrfs with raid1 is supposed to be stable, but it's always eventually corrupted itself and would not heal/rebuilt. HAMMER2 lacks a lot of features, but with all my thinkering, hasn't entered a black hole yet. And HAMMER (1, not 2), while it's described as a dead end, has unbelievable features, such as by default conserving every single version of every single file. You just "hammer history (file)", and can see every version. The downside is the management of PFS (pseudo-filesystems), which you have to manage, vs btrfs which just handles everything automatically. There's also master disks which are read-write, and slaves which are read-only. It's not efficient, but damn, so far, it's stable. So is HAMMER2, but a lot of critical features are lacking, so you've been warned.
    (1) GCN cards should work on dfly (it's GPU support should be equal or newer than Linux 4.7). It's FreeBSD where newer than 6xxx Radeon GPU's are out of question in general. OpenBSD has Radeon cards supported as well up to Hawaii and Mullins.

Comment

Working...
    X