X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^ No love for Redox OS?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
      More than 24 hours have passed since this article was put up. I can't believe no one has asked the traditional question "why does Haiku even exist" lol.
      And do you have an answer yet? Because last time this came up in the forums, you guys didn't have one. It's just "something something leave us alone we can have our alternative OS if we want to" which okay great I agree... but that isn't an answer to that question. Just what exactly is it that's interesting about a 90s era desktop OS that had almost no market penetration to the point where Haiku's existence is the only reason people even remember that it was a thing? At least with AROS, the Amiga was an important cornerstone of computing history so there's something to be nostalgic about.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

And do you have an answer yet? Because last time this came up in the forums, you guys didn't have one. It's just "something something leave us alone we can have our alternative OS if we want to" which okay great I agree... but that isn't an answer to that question. Just what exactly is it that's interesting about a 90s era desktop OS that had almost no market penetration to the point where Haiku's existence is the only reason people even remember that it was a thing? At least with AROS, the Amiga was an important cornerstone of computing history so there's something to be nostalgic about.
        I love Haiku for its simplistic interface.

Also, not sure why one would want to use AROS when one can use the real thing: AmigaOS 4. It's much more pleasant and modern and thanks to the built-in software updater, updating is a breeze (except for major upgrades, e.g. 4.0 to 4.1 or 4.1 to 4.1FE; that still requires a boot medium). All old Amiga apps that run on AROS also run fine on AmigaOS 4. The only thing that AROS has going for it is that it's free, but that's it.
        Last edited by Vistaus; 02 January 2018, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Also, not sure why one would want to use AROS when one can use the real thing: AmigaOS 4. It's much more pleasant and modern and thanks to the built-in software updater, updating is a breeze (except for major upgrades, e.g. 4.0 to 4.1 or 4.1 to 4.1FE; that still requires a boot medium). All old Amiga apps that run on AROS also run fine on AmigaOS 4.
          Does AmigaOS 4 runs on non-overpriced hardware? You know, commodity hardware you can buy cheap in any place

Comment

Also, not sure why one would want to use AROS when one can use the real thing: AmigaOS 4. It's much more pleasant and modern and thanks to the built-in software updater, updating is a breeze (except for major upgrades, e.g. 4.0 to 4.1 or 4.1 to 4.1FE; that still requires a boot medium). All old Amiga apps that run on AROS also run fine on AmigaOS 4. The only thing that AROS has going for it is that it's free, but that's it.
            Well that and having a true 64 bit port, Visible starts of SMP which can be tested and used, more advanced kernel. Just some minor advantages of AROS over AmigaOS 4.

Comment

Working...
            X