No announcement yet.

GNUstep Takes Another Step Forward For Implementing Apple's Cocoa Frameworks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNUstep Takes Another Step Forward For Implementing Apple's Cocoa Frameworks

Phoronix: GNUstep Takes Another Step Forward For Implementing Apple's Cocoa Frameworks

GNUstep is the long-standing free software project working to implement Apple's Cocoa Objective-C frameworks used by macOS. The GNU project has made new releases of their GUI and Back libraries...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is it possible to interface this with Darling to allow some GUI apps to run?

Comment

I don't like it generate a GNUStep folder in the home directory.

Comment

What is this used for, actually?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          What is this used for, actually?
          Cocoa is Apple's equivalent of .NET framework on windows, more or less.

This project has the same general goal of Mono (which aims to be a cross-platform NET framework implementation), allowing developers to at least attempt to crossplatform any application that is tied to that framework.

It can also be used to write crossplatform applications from scratch, if you start the application development targeting this project.

Comment

More importantly a lot of people like Apples framework for building apps. It could be easily argued that this is one of the better app development environments going. In some ways i have to agree, though being tied to Objective C sucks it is still better than C based libraries. One could argue that it is better than the C++ solutions like QT.

That being said i really believe trying to support Objective C as a development language these days is a bit misguided. I suspect Apple will dump Objective C soon for Swift. Objective C is too dated to save. I could see Apple completely eliminating Objective C from future Mac development.

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            Cocoa is Apple's equivalent of .NET framework on windows, more or less.

This project has the same general goal of Mono (which aims to be a cross-platform NET framework implementation), allowing developers to at least attempt to crossplatform any application that is tied to that framework.

It can also be used to write crossplatform applications from scratch, if you start the application development targeting this project.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              Is it possible to interface this with Darling to allow some GUI apps to run?
              Yes this will surely be used when Darling advances. Maybe someday someone couples it with BSD or Darwin to create a fully Apple compatible os.

Comment

Working...
              X