Haiku OS Is Very Close To Their Long Awaited Beta, New Repository Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haiku OS Is Very Close To Their Long Awaited Beta, New Repository Working

Phoronix: Haiku OS Is Very Close To Their Long Awaited Beta, New Repository Working

The BeOS-inspired Haiku operating system should be issuing its long-awaited beta release by early 2018...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't want to come out as cynical, I really want to know... what is the purpose of its existence? Just to say that they managed to do that? BeOS was VERY cool back in the 90s with revolutionary features that made windows look like a relic but now all the key features that made this OS revolutionary are basically expected in any OS and standard technology even the file system is like one of the main features and reasons to use freeBSD.

What am I missing?

Comment

Originally posted by papajo View Post
      What am I missing?
      One thing: "too little, too late"

Comment

I don't want to come out as cynical, I really want to know... what is the purpose of its existence? Just to say that they managed to do that? BeOS was VERY cool back in the 90s with revolutionary features that made windows look like a relic but now all the key features that made this OS revolutionary are basically expected in any OS and standard technology even the file system is like one of the main features and reasons to use freeBSD.

What am I missing?

Comment

What am I missing?
          A new OS structure. Potentially better performance. Less cruft to support legacy and odd hardware.

More importantly why wouldn't you want people to pursue new ideas in OS technologies. There are plenty of people out there with the required skills and interest. Alternative OS's give them a place to try out new ideas that Linux/UNIX cant easily incorporate.

It is sorta like computer programming languages, you woildnt want people to stop developing new languages would you? Even if some of those languages are a but bogus they still serve a purpise. With your thinking we wouldn't have Rust, Swift, Go or even Python3.

I may never install this OS though im getting interested, but i don't want them to stop development. It might take another 20 years for the next great OS to appear to replace Linux/UNIX, but that will never happen if people don't develop new technologies today!!!!

Comment

It's been far too long coming, a beta should have been released 10 years ago! Many folk have lost interest and moved on many moons ago. I still run it in a VM on occasion to see what's changed but even that's not very often these days, and if anything there seems to be many regressions instead of progression. There's still no 3D support, something which BeOS had 18 years ago, and reading the forum there's no near solution to creating it.
            I may install it on real hardware if things progress in future, but until then I'll stick with my BeOS 5 install on a old PC.

Comment

Which will became stable first : HURD or Haiku?

Comment

I think all these "Whats the point" posts are pointless and pathetic.

If everyone thought like that, we'd all be running Windows all the time for everything.

Congrats (on your persistence) Haiku team!

Comment

Originally posted by danboid View Post
                  I think all these "Whats the point" posts are pointless and pathetic.

If everyone thought like that, we'd all be running Windows all the time for everything.

Congrats (on your persistence) Haiku team!
                  nope... because for example linux had/has a point an alternative OS to proprietary solutions... (which also brought things that did not exist to the table)

What is their point? an alternative os to linux? An os that provides "new technologies" like multitasking? The only point of it would be to revive beos... I can understand why to do that back in the 90s... it was like bleeding edge... now everything that could made someone say "ahh beos what a wonderful OS" back in that day hasbeen since then long surpassed.

Now beos offers nothing new and does nothing better.

So why make a beos that supports modern hardware?

The work and effort is commendable non the less not everybody could have achieved that but its pointless... if they focused their effort in the developing of current software then e.g linux would be just a little better because of that.
                  Last edited by papajo; 11 December 2017, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DebianLinuxero View Post
                    Which will became stable first : HURD or Haiku?
                    Well, HURD is stable, it just does not do much at all.

A more appropriate comparison is Haiku vs ReactOS.

Comment

Working...
                    X