Running FreeBSD 12, TrueOS On AMD EPYC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phoenix_rizzen View Post
    One thing to note when testing FreeBSD -CURRENT snapshots is that they are compiled with all kinds of debugging stuff enabled, which will slow things down during normal uses. This is by design, as -CURRENT is primarily meant for development, debugging, and bug squashing. Just something to keep in mind when running benchmarks against it.

If you want to get a better representation of how it will work once released, you need to compile the OS from source and disable all the debugging in /etc/make.conf and (sometimes) in /etc/src.conf.

I don't know how TruOS does things in their -UNSTABLE branch, if they have the debugging stuff enabled or not. The last time I tried PCBSD/TruOS was in the 9.x days.
    TrueOS 'Desktop' also had NODEBUG-GENERIC named animal (read:kernel conf file) somewhere there, if I remember right. I cannot recall if it was found on official dvd or I stumbled upon it after getting the sources from Github (I've recompiled TrueOS kernels because I needed some particular changes)

It's default installed kernel still has a lot of debugging-related stuff going but it is not as heavy options going for it as vanilla CURRENT. Worth also noting that you shall get different GENERIC kernels, depending if you are installing 'TrueOS Server' or 'TrueOS Desktop'.

I am abroad, so I can't check on it more precicely, inconvenient enough typing into phone.

Comment

Working...
    X