Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DragonFlyBSD Now Supports Up To 64TB Of RAM

Phoronix: DragonFlyBSD Now Supports Up To 64TB Of RAM

DragonFlyBSD now supports up to 64TB of physical memory...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

About damn time! I've had these 8 and 16 TB RAM modules lying around for ages, but I couldn't install them into my kickass DragonFlyBSD PC because it had maxed out at 32TB. Now I can finally keep more of those sweet Chrome tabs open.

Comment

Yesss finally a platform worthy of running my electron based text editor

Comment

You guys should uninstall Chrome and install Firefox.

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
          About damn time! I've had these 8 and 16 TB RAM modules lying around for ages, but I couldn't install them into my kickass DragonFlyBSD PC because it had maxed out at 32TB. Now I can finally keep more of those sweet Chrome tabs open.
          Large NUMA systems from SGI, HP and Oracle can easily have 64 TB and more. But I guess you already knew that.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post

Large NUMA systems from SGI, HP and Oracle can easily have 64 TB and more. But I guess you already knew that.
            Yeah, but do any of them run on dragonfly? I'm aware of a few software solutions, like SAP HANA, that need a couple TB of ram just to run. But that doesn't even run on AIX or zOS anymore. Regardless, IMO dragonfly is the most interesting BSD these days. It seems the only one that is built for the future.

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
              BSD needs to rewrite everything in Rust and make it work with Wayland. Then they wouldn't need so much memory. Maybe Lennart Poettering can help them out.
              Look... if you're going to troll at least try to do it properly, this is low grade b8 if ever I saw it. 1/10.

be like this guy:
              Originally posted by dcrdev View Post
              Yesss finally a platform worthy of running my electron based text editor
              Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 05 December 2017, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post

No, this it not true. Can you link to any such system? SGI UV3000 is a cluster, because it only runs clustered workloads. Check the website. No one use SGI UV3000 with 10.000s of cores and 64TB RAM to run scale up business servers such as databases nor SAP. SAP Hana is for analytics, and analytics are running great in parallell. SAP Hana also runs fine on a cluster, and was made for clusters initially.

I know of no Linux business server that has 64TB RAM. The 4096 cpu Linux servers from SGI (such as Altix, UV2000, UV1000, etc), are all clusters.

Comment

Originally posted by pavlerson View Post
                  I know of no Linux business server that has 64TB RAM. The 4096 cpu Linux servers from SGI (such as Altix, UV2000, UV1000, etc), are all clusters.
                  They're not clusters and you're spreading bullshit when comes to memory limits.

When comes to Linux:

Original x86-64 was limited by 4-level paging to 256 TiB of virtual address space and 64 TiB of physical address space. People are already bumping into this limit: some vendors offers servers with 64 TiB of memory today. To overcome the limitation upcoming hardware will introduce support for 5-level paging. It is a straight-forward extension of the current page table structures adding one more layer of translation. It bumps the limits to 128 PiB of virtual address space and 4 PiB of physical address space. This "ought to be enough for anybody" ©.
                  Ps. what's worth to note slowlaris is dead and kebabbert eats shit.
                  Last edited by Guest; 05 December 2017, 06:33 AM.

Comment

It was not slowaris, it was SoLarry's

Comment

Working...
                    X