X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was not slowaris, it was SoLarry's

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
      You guys should uninstall Chrome and install Firefox.
      Latest Firefox is very sluggish on my laptop (even more so than older FF versions, which were only sluggish when loading web pages, latest one is sluggish throughout the whole interface). And I do have decent 2016 specs, it was a clean FF install and the rest of my system and apps are buttery smooth, so it's not my laptop's fault.
      Last edited by Vistaus; 12-05-2017, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
        Latest Firefox is very sluggish on my laptop (even more so than older FF versions, which were only sluggish when loading web pages, latest one is sluggish throughout the whole interface). And I do have decent 2016 specs, it was a clean FF install and the rest of my system and apps are buttery smooth, so it's not my laptop's fault.
        I think there is something wrong on your side.

All my firefoxes (Windows and Linux, both fresh installs and ancient FF profiles updated over the years) did feel the jump to FF 57, it's much better.

And also other people usually report better performance.

Comment

Originally posted by pavlerson View Post
          No, this it not true. Can you link to any such system? SGI UV3000 is a cluster, because it only runs clustered workloads. Check the website. No one use SGI UV3000 with 10.000s of cores and 64TB RAM to run scale up business servers such as databases nor SAP. SAP Hana is for analytics, and analytics are running great in parallell. SAP Hana also runs fine on a cluster, and was made for clusters initially.

I know of no Linux business server that has 64TB RAM. The 4096 cpu Linux servers from SGI (such as Altix, UV2000, UV1000, etc), are all clusters.
          Is this the return of Kebabbabert or are all Solaris fans this misinformed? Yes it's true that the SGI systems are clustered together by smaller hw boxes but the important part here is that the clustering is done by SGI:s low level OS that then presents it as a single system to the Linux Kernel that is the main OS on these systems. So you have a single Linux Kernel instance running on this whole cluster so this is not the HPC kind of interconnected independent machines.

And it's done this way to support the kind of work loads that would not work particularly well on a HPC cluster (or would require a fuck ton of work to recode into a massively parallel problem).

And if you indeed are the return of Kebabbert this is not the first time that I have told you how these systems work.

Comment

Well this was about DragonFlyBSD supporting 64TB. I see comments by people claiming that "nobody" runs DragonFlyBSD. Well I don't run it , but it would be stupid to ridicule this. Some run it , and perhaps the 64TB ram limit is just the thing needed for someone else to run it too.

DragonFlyBSD is not EVIL and it is after all a Unix like OS which we should all be glad is there. Having the idea that Linux is the only true OS is no better than the masses who think that Windows is the only true OS either. Now things have turned and Linux have practically taken over the world (except the desktop), we should all be happy that there exists alternatives and just maybe some of these alternatives will kick Linux behind some day. Progress is good and even if I don't use DragonFlyBSD myself I think it's great that it supports 64TB of ram even if "nobody" is using it! In fact I would find it even more interesting if it supported a yottabyte!

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

Is this the return of Kebabbabert or are all Solaris fans this misinformed? Yes it's true that the SGI systems are clustered together by smaller hw boxes but the important part here is that the clustering is done by SGI:s low level OS that then presents it as a single system to the Linux Kernel that is the main OS on these systems. So you have a single Linux Kernel instance running on this whole cluster so this is not the HPC kind of interconnected independent machines.

And it's done this way to support the kind of work loads that would not work particularly well on a HPC cluster (or would require a fuck ton of work to recode into a massively parallel problem).

And if you indeed are the return of Kebabbert this is not the first time that I have told you how these systems work.
              The biggest slowlaris (which is thankfully dead) troll probably thinks all those thousands of CPUs are needed to be closed under one case to be called big iron. Imagine cooling and repairing such system and how big it needs to be? What idiot denies it's single Linux kernel which sees and handles all these CPUs and memory.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

You may want to check your FF settings if more than one process is enabled.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                  What idiot denies it's single Linux kernel which sees and handles all these CPUs and memory.
                  The one who finds all their technical know-how from company (Oracle) brochures (because we all know that the PR department never lies).

Comment

Working...
                  X