No announcement yet.

A Closed-Source Apple File-System APFS Driver For Linux Announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why would they make a closed source filesystem driver? Such things should be open.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      Why would they make a closed source filesystem driver? Such things should be open.
      Because they are in the business of selling/licensing file-system support.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

And and they are making money from other businesses. Are they not reasonably safe from pirating in this case?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Bulk of Paragon customers are in the embedded market. As in "company that makes embedded devices and need a driver to read disks formatted by something else".

People on Mac don't use Fat32 on external hard drives.
          At the same time you can't read or write a NTFS drive without a third party software right? Some time ago a co-worker called me to check out why her hand-me-down Macbook Air wasn't reading her USB driver. I was shocked to find out that a "just works" thing for us on Linux was such a headache for the supposed "OS of the Stars".

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
            Maybe I'm in the minority, but I can't imagine ever having to read from or write to an Apple-formatted disk. Never had to mount an HFS or HFS+ disk. I don't recall anyone ever doing work on a Mac and passing it to me on a specially formatted drive. Don't all the Mac folks just use FAT32 on their thumb drives?
            I believe Mac folks tend to use exfat on their thumb drives. This lets it the thumbdrive to work on more computers/devices than HFS+ and allows bigger files than fat32.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Support is OK, but I find the business of licensing filesystems to be a rather fishy idea.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                Makes sense regarding why Paragon would work on this driver. I've not been handed an external hard drive by a Mac user, but plenty of flash drives. The flash drives were all FAT32 as far as I can recall.
                Me neither, but there are quite a bit of "external hard drives for mac" formatted with their fs and costing 100$ more than a normal hard drive.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                  Because they sell it to companies that don't give a shit about opensource drivers since they will use kernel 2.6.something or whatever ancient kernel is in their product's SDK (also full of other blobs).

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post
                    I believe Mac folks tend to use exfat on their thumb drives. This lets it the thumbdrive to work on more computers/devices than HFS+ and allows bigger files than fat32.
                    Mac folks use whatever is default filesystem on average. Any thumbdrive less than 32GB is Fat32, and quite frankly I never saw Mac users needing much more space than that in an external drive.

(some had a NAS though)

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                      At the same time you can't read or write a NTFS drive without a third party software right? Some time ago a co-worker called me to check out why her hand-me-down Macbook Air wasn't reading her USB driver. I was shocked to find out that a "just works" thing for us on Linux was such a headache for the supposed "OS of the Stars".
                      AFAIK the newer ones should have NTFS read-only drivers at least. For writing yes you need a driver. Some time ago (2014?) they had an experimental NTFS read-only driver, which was disabled by default.

Comment

Working...
                      X