Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darling Is Still Active With A Goal To Run macOS Apps On Linux

Phoronix: Darling Is Still Active With A Goal To Run macOS Apps On Linux

It's been one year and a few days when last researching a status update on "Project Darling" for running macOS/OSX applications on Linux. While the project hasn't been generating too much buzz this year, it still is being developed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oh boy. I could finally turn my Linux laptop into the bloated iTunes host of my dreams.

Or not.

Can you run their stuff on a BSD installation?

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
      Oh boy. I could finally turn my Linux laptop into the bloated iTunes host of my dreams.

Or not.

Can you run their stuff on a BSD installation?
      or maybe, run final cut and photoshop and premiere almost natively and without going through excruciating wine pains.

Comment

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
        or maybe, run final cut and photoshop and premiere almost natively and without going through excruciating wine pains.

I might missed something, but in which way Darling would be more "native" than Wine?

Comment

Originally posted by adakite View Post
          I might missed something, but in which way Darling would be more "native" than Wine?
          Some people believe MacOS to be more similar to Linux than Windows is. I don't know if this is true or not, I don't follow Apple closely.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            Some people believe MacOS to be more similar to Linux than Windows is. I don't know if this is true or not, I don't follow Apple closely.
            Well, macOS is a certified Unix.

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
              Well, macOS is a certified Unix.
              At least, it is POSIX compatible and has lots of stuff from BSD. And the binaries are ELFs. So, ideally, you have to implement userspace only to run many macOS programs.

Comment

But right now Darling can only run simple applications, so you have a better shot of running Windows versions of those apps through Wine than the Apple versions through Darling.

Comment

Would be neat to have this options for office...

Comment

Originally posted by chimpy View Post
                    But right now Darling can only run simple applications, so you have a better shot of running Windows versions of those apps through Wine than the Apple versions through Darling.
                    WIne is more mature but I suppose the potential is down the line it could be more stable to run Mac software.

Also, some use-cases could be
                    - Getting iMessage (?)
                    - Running Apple Mail (I have to troubleshoot for clients every now and then and I don't have a Mac. Nor do I want one.)
                    - Running Xcode to develop iOS apps? (I hear you need a Mac to do this.)

Just some off the top of my head.

Oh here's a good one

With the combined power of Wine, Darling, and Anbox we will run all the things and rule the world! MUAHAHAHAH
                    Last edited by Brophen; 18 November 2017, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X