Some Basic macOS 10.13 vs. Ubuntu 17.10 OpenGL Gaming Tests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
    have you tried installing linux on the mac? to see how metal vs vulkan compares.
    On what application? Are there games using Metal on MacOS?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      On what application? Are there games using Metal on MacOS?
      On any of the latest feral games. They support Vulkan on linux and Metal on mac os.

I have always wondered why no one has done test like this considering that they would be very interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by chimpy View Post
        2 different renderers, but it's the same game. I doubt gamers care which renderer is is being used as long as it performs best.
        My point is that the renderer for each platform varies so much that it's not really a comparison between Metal and Vulkan, but a comparison of effort between the two renderers. Utterly pointless if you ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by ColdDistance View Post
          Apple has ditched OpenGL as a main API some years ago. So it doesn't surprise me the better performance of Ubuntu against macOS.

As Guest said, Vulkan versus Metal on the same GPU (Intel and AMD) it would be a better comparison.
          You do realise that OpenGL performs better than Metal on MacOS currently right? Mac's just suck at graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbine View Post

You do realise that OpenGL performs better than Metal on MacOS currently right? Mac's just suck at graphics.
            thats not true, on benchmarks metal performs better that opengl

Comment

Originally posted by Turbine View Post

Absolutely untrue from my experience on and Intel Iris 5200 something something. Metal is way faster on my machine - possibly because the OpenGL driver is lacking but still. We should all have learned that low level APIs are no miracle cure unless you have people like id software working on it. So, the state of Metal at the moment might be closer to what other APIs can offer on windows or linux than the OpenGL-driver. I really hope they do some OpenGL-over-Metal layer or something in the future since they are obviously not advancing the OpenGL driver any more.

Comment

Amd and Nvidia should force OGL4.6 on Mac via their drivers. That will give extra profits to Wine developers (WineD3D11), so they can hire some more people. That way we also win.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

That isn't possible, since you can't verify that both renderer implementations are equivalent.
                  It doesn't matter for end users. The latest Ubuntu + latest graphick stach vs the latest macOS comparison would be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                    It doesn't matter for end users. The latest Ubuntu + latest graphick stach vs the latest macOS comparison would be interesting.
                    But that wouldn't be what you are comparing. You'd be comparing the amount of effort given to each renderer by the application vendor, not the quality of the drivers. It would only apply to that application and there is nothing either platform can do to improve the application. It would not be a comparison between graphic stacks at all, it would be a comparison between builds of an application. Utterly meaningless except for that one version of that one application.

Comment

no big news, software from apple sucks like always

Comment

Working...
                      X