Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DragonFlyBSD 5.0 Released With Initial HAMMER2 Support, Support For 900k+ Processes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DragonFlyBSD 5.0 Released With Initial HAMMER2 Support, Support For 900k+ Processes

Phoronix: DragonFlyBSD 5.0 Released With Initial HAMMER2 Support, Support For 900k+ Processes

Today marks the official availability of DragonFlyBSD 5.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What's an advantage of BSD over Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post
      Off the top of my head (I don't know how much these apply to DragonflyBSD, I know more FreeBSD and derivatives):
      -permissive license (closed-source-product friendly)
      -better ZFS support/integration
      -kernel supposedly better for bigger iron systems (many many cores/CPUs)
      -their firewall is better/easier to use
      -better sound system, as long as you don't need to do anything fancy or modern.

I don't use other features like jails or whatever, so I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        Off the top of my head (I don't know how much these apply to DragonflyBSD, I know more FreeBSD and derivatives):
        -permissive license (closed-source-product friendly)
        It's a huge disadvatage.

-kernel supposedly better for bigger iron systems (many many cores/CPUs)
        What a bunch of bullshit! Bsd is non existent on big irons. Linux supports 4096 CPUs on single image and scales crap out of BSD. Oh and even Phoronix benchmarks show Linux destroys BSD on many core machine. Furthermore, Linux has the fastest thread creation on this planet.

-better sound system, as long as you don't need to do anything fancy or modern.
        Maybe as long as you don't even have a sound card?

I don't use other features like jails or whatever, so I don't know.
        It seems you don't know a thing, so I wonder why did you even reply?
        Last edited by Guest; 17 October 2017, 05:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
          It's a huge disadvatage.
          It depends from the point of view, so I list it regardless. I'd never use it for my work, but I like permissive licenses in work I can use myself.

What a bunch of bullshit!
          That's why I said "supposedly". I've seen claims from decent sources, but I never saw that firsthand.

Oh come the fuck on, isn't "as long as you don't need to do anything fancy or modern" caveat obvious enough? Their sound infrastructure is better than plain ALSA, but is frozen in 90's as far as features go, so you don't have 5.1 audio, bluetooth audio, and more advanced stuff.

It seems you can't fucking read, so I wonder why you did even reply?

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

It's a huge disadvatage.

What a bunch of bullshit! Bsd is non existent on big irons. Linux supports 4096 CPUs on single image and scales crap out of BSD. Oh and even Phoronix benchmarks show Linux destroys BSD on many core machine. Furthermore, Linux has the fastest thread creation on this planet.

Then I guess Netflix, Facebook and whatsapp are stupid to use FreeBSD?

Comment

Originally posted by rockworldmi View Post

Then I guess Netflix, Facebook and whatsapp are stupid to use FreeBSD?
              Facebook is using a lot of Linux. Netflix uses it specifically for doing TLS in the Kernel, something also supported on newer Linux Kernels.

Comment

but people over at reddit.com/r/bsd can answer better.

Comment

Better TCP stack? From the old days of whatsapp:
                  1 million is so 2011Happy 2012 everyone!A few months ago we published a blog post that talked about our servers doing 1 million tcp connections on a single b...

Comment

Serving 100Gbps from one server?

Comment

Working...
                    X