Haiku OS Is Still Chugging Along To Get Its First Official Release Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haiku OS Is Still Chugging Along To Get Its First Official Release Out

Phoronix: Haiku OS Is Still Chugging Along To Get Its First Official Release Out

The BeOS-inspired Haiku OS has been around since 2002 and its alpha release came out five years ago while the beta and first "R1" stable release are still being pursued...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looking forward to it

Comment

Really pumped! Once it reaches R1 I'm going to run it on some older 32 bit systems since nobody else is offering 32 bit anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
        Really pumped! Once it reaches R1 I'm going to run it on some older 32 bit systems since nobody else is offering 32 bit anymore.
        Not sure if serious.

It will be at least 5 years before really "nobody else is offering 32-bit anymore", are you implying that they will need 5 years to reach R1?

Comment

Interesting. I will probably get burned at the stake for saying this, but back in the 1990s when BeOS was released for x86 I played with it a little, wrote some apps on it and found that all around it... just sucked. Fans were all rhapsodising about it but I could never understand what the fuss was all about. If Haiku can make it interesting and have it deliver something that other OSes don't, kudos to them, I'll be looking forward to try it out.

Comment

Soon™: Copyright 2004-2024 Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. All rights reserved. "Soon" does not imply any particular date, time, decade, century, or millennia in the past, present, and certainly not the future. "Soon" shall make no contract or warranty between Blizzard Entertainment and the end user. "Soon" will arrive some day, Blizzard does guarantee that "soon" will be here before the end of time. Maybe. Do not make plans based on "soon" as Blizzard will not be liable for any misuse, use, or even casual glancing at "soon."[1]

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
              NetBSD and other BSDs does

Comment

So what is so good about Haiko OS or BeOS?
                What really does it offer?
                What is it strong points?

I think back in the days of like Windows 95 it had a good process scheduler or something and was quite good for desktop multimedia.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  So what is so good about Haiko OS or BeOS?
                  What really does it offer?
                  What is it strong points?

I think back in the days of like Windows 95 it had a good process scheduler or something and was quite good for desktop multimedia.
                  The answer to those questions are one search away.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    Not sure if serious.

It will be at least 5 years before really "nobody else is offering 32-bit anymore", are you implying that they will need 5 years to reach R1?
                    Well, Arch isn't going to be, Ubuntu isn't going to be, Debian isn't going to be, openSUSE isn't going to be, etc. It is really happening. I've already run Haiku on my netbook off and on for years. Not much of a jump. I just hope they can get the 3D acceleration thing worked out eventually.

Comment

Working...
                    X