Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying Out The BSDs & OpenIndiana On AMD EPYC + Tyan 2U Server

Phoronix: Trying Out The BSDs & OpenIndiana On AMD EPYC + Tyan 2U Server

We have begun in delivering many Linux benchmarks of AMD EPYC, but for those of you interested in the BSD operating systems or even the "open-source Solaris" Illumos/OpenIndiana, I have run some basic tests the past few days using the high-end EPYC 7601 64-thread processor on the TYAN Transport SX TN70A-B8026.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's sad that OpenBSD installation didn't work. I was interested in it. :-(

Comment

Thanks for leaving no stone unturned and including these OSes on your list.

It's unfortunate that they didn't score better and a Driver wasn't functioning but their smaller user base probably has such fixes on their list too.

Comment

Very very cool to see these tests. I wasn't even aware that OpenIndiana still existed, but very happy to hear it does. I will have to test it in the next few hours. I liked to test OpenSolaris, in the same way I like CentOS, but I thought it was a goner when Oracle took over.

Comment

Any chance you could try out a different open solaris distribution - specifically OmniOS community edition? Both OpenIndiana and OmniOS (and SmartOS and Nexenta) are based on Illumos - but the problem with the disks not showing up is probably that they are nvme 1.2 and Open Indiana doesn't have the fixes for that yet - but I think the newer versions of OmniOS community should. Also, can you comment on the mezzanine network card Tyan hopefully included with the unit - is it an Intel X710? We are thinking about buying some of these servers but would prefer OmniOS over ZFS on Linux if the hardware has support.

illumos based server OS with ZFS, DTrace, Crossbow, SMF, Bhyve, KVM and Linux zone support

Comment

No NetBSD?

Comment

Michael
              Would love to see some OmniOS CE benches. Maybe the installation will work because it's newer than OI.
              illumos based server OS with ZFS, DTrace, Crossbow, SMF, KVM and Linux zone support

Comment

Michael
                Would love to see some OmniOS CE benches. Maybe you are more successful with it because it's newer than OI.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
                  It's sad that OpenBSD installation didn't work. I was interested in it. :-(
                  Indeed, I was also very interested in seeing the bench/stability results on this kind of hardware. Pity that Michael just has not switched to different mirror and everything should be working fine...

Comment

Originally posted by kgardas View Post

Indeed, I was also very interested in seeing the bench/stability results on this kind of hardware. Pity that Michael just has not switched to different mirror and everything should be working fine...
                    Actually I tried the install 3~4 times with a different mirror each time... Each time it would end up stalling trying to fetch comp62, when removing that from the set, it would end up stalling on some other package. And no issues with my Internet connection on my end.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X