macOS 10.13 High Sierra vs. Ubuntu Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Exordium01 View Post
    Right. They don't care about performance at all. Aside from forking KHTML and turning it into a world class web browser, developing Clang and many other open source projects, designing the fastest mobile SoC etc. They don't care about performance at all.

You're free to prefer any OS you'd like, but if you need to invent bullshit in order to rationalize your decision, you have a problem.
    The OSX guys did all these?

Comment

Half this thread is OS X bashing by people who apparently haven't read the article.
      Apparently, huh? How is this apparent? I, for example, have read all the similar articles for the last 8 years. Nothing has changed. Go check for yourself to see.

Comment

I really considered buying a mac, but this benchmark shows again, that macOS is internally full of crap and externally shine, shine. I'm this harsh, because macs are expensive. Apple has more money than any other company and when they suck in performance and also in security, than this is hustle and cheating!
        Last edited by Steffo; 28 September 2017, 03:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sloth View Post

Pretty big difference between aggressively caching and suppressing fsync.
          Well. If you have a battery on your cache, fsync may only go to cache. It just have to be persistent on a sudden loss of power and a battery and flush on powerdown gives you that. So they could be optimizing for laptops. If so a desktop should perform worse for sqlite.

Comment

Right. They don't care about performance at all. Aside from forking KHTML and turning it into a world class web browser, developing Clang and many other open source projects, designing the fastest mobile SoC etc. They don't care about performance at all.

You're free to prefer any OS you'd like, but if you need to invent bullshit in order to rationalize your decision, you have a problem.
            The latter is exactly what you did 'cause he was talking about macOS developers and users, NOT about Apple in general. I hope you do know that the people who work on things like Clang, iOS hardware, etc. aren't the same guys who are developing macOS? And not the same as artists who use macOS?

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
              I really considered buying a mac, but this benchmark shows again, that macOS is internally full of crap and externally shine, shine. I'm this harsh, because macs are expensive. Apple has more money than any other company and when they suck in performance and also in security, than this is hustle and cheating!
              As a user of FreeBSD, Linux, and Mac OS, I can tell you this is not true. Especially the memory management of Mac OS is really good.

Comment

Originally posted by labyrinth153 View Post

As a user of FreeBSD, Linux, and Mac OS, I can tell you this is not true. Especially the memory management of Mac OS is really good.
                MacOS never even had memory management. That was introduced in OS X, now macOS.

Comment

Michael, if you want to investigate database and particular sqlite performance , you can try mounting the disk on Linux with "barrier=0" or ("nobarrier" for btrfs). That is the mount option for disks that have battery backed write-back cache (which the main memory of laptop essential is).
                  Last edited by carewolf; 28 September 2017, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

MacOS never even had memory management. That was introduced in OS X, now macOS.
                    Wow, do you really think he meant the old Mac OS or did you just want to shoot his mouth off?!

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
                      I just got mu new AT&T spyPhone 8 and I've never felt more safe and secure making calls. Crazy conspiracy theorists on the dark webz keep saying something about the NSA but they've been debunked...

If Apple was letting the NSA spy on me I would have heard about it on TV "news"
                      Oh, so it's that how the inside of NSA offices look like? Could you post also a pic of your desk?

Comment

Working...
                      X