Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haiku OS Is Gearing Up For Its Long-Awaited Beta Release

Phoronix: Haiku OS Is Gearing Up For Its Long-Awaited Beta Release

The BeOS-inspired Haiku operating system is finally gearing up for its long-awaited beta milestone...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Seems Dead? https://www.reddit.com/r/haikuOS/com...is_haiku_dead/

Comment

I do really like the ideas behind HaikuOS, but I am almost sure it's on a dead-end. It can be a toy project, not a real usable OS.
      Sorry.

Comment

GNU HURD, DAL/DC merged upstream, all linux-rt patches merged upstream/vanilla, all security patching merged upstream/vanilla, GPL ZFS for Linux, Nvidia making fully open source drivers, almost complete framework sharing between KDE and GNOME, full Wayland support on all maintained applications and deprecation of X.Org, the final release and deploy of Nvidia's "Unix device memory allocation library" thing, stable HaikuOS version...

What do these hopes have in common? They are vaporware

Comment

Maybe it is "long awaited", but probably only very few most hardcore zealots actually awaited it...

Comment

Awesome!!! Now if only they'd add suport for SeaBIOS so that I can boot it on my laptop (with Intel h/w) as well and add support for my Intel Wi-Fi card.

Comment

Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
              Maybe it is "long awaited", but probably only very few most hardcore zealots actually awaited it...
              Exactly! I've been trying out nightly builds every now and then over the years, which I was comfortable with so I'm not awaiting this beta release. Except for the fact that they'd finally have a beta, which shows real progress to people who don't know or don't want nightly builds.

Comment

Originally posted by Uqbar View Post
                I do really like the ideas behind HaikuOS, but I am almost sure it's on a dead-end. It can be a toy project, not a real usable OS.
                Sorry.
                It has a package manager, can run Qt apps including the very capable QupZilla browser... not a toy OS at all. I agree that Haiku would never get as much market share as, say, Linux currently has. But it's very, very fast on older (and also newer) computers, while being more complete than, say, a Gentoo install on an old device.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                  GNU HURD, DAL/DC merged upstream, all linux-rt patches merged upstream/vanilla, all security patching merged upstream/vanilla, GPL ZFS for Linux, Nvidia making fully open source drivers, almost complete framework sharing between KDE and GNOME, full Wayland support on all maintained applications and deprecation of X.Org, the final release and deploy of Nvidia's "Unix device memory allocation library" thing, stable HaikuOS version...

What do these hopes have in common?
                  dumb people bunch them together thinking they are the same when they are not.

Some of the ones cited are going to happen in mid-term or long-term future, some are not gonna happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Exactly! I've been trying out nightly builds every now and then over the years, which I was comfortable with so I'm not awaiting this beta release. Except for the fact that they'd finally have a beta, which shows real progress to people who don't know or don't want nightly builds.
                    Oh, wow, you're like 2nd human being on this planet I know who is anyhow serious about using it. Though I'm sorry, but when it comes to old computers, I wouldn't share your enthusiasm about Qt. These days Qt is horrible overgrown monster, QML provokes wrting heavy and bloated apps, and thanks to all added bloat and countless Qt lib features, Qt apps are anything but lightweight these days.

Comment

Working...
                    X