FreeBSD Developers Tackle AMD Zen/Ryzen Temperature Monitoring Before Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    But in my opinion, for AMD that's a problem, they have a policy of not talking about future plans. You can find marketing slides that AMD released in years past chalked full of information that never happened. I mean for the most part most slides are good informative articles, but some of them describe things that never happened. Short of that AMD really sucks at press releases, they prefer to say nothing as if "mums the word". In the end what happens is we get some slides with misinformation in them and then nothing at all for years. That philosophy just doesn't work for AMD.

I like what they did in 2007. Renew that philosophy.
    I agree, but considering how much they're in a time crunch just to get products released, I figure they just don't have time to plan open-sourcing their work.

If there's one thing AMD has continuously bad at, that would be marketing. Ryzen and Threadripper were pretty much the first products AMD released in recent memory that [eventually] performed the way they said they would. Because of how poor their marketing team has been, I always take their claims with a grain of salt, and sometimes even that is too much. So, I'm not surprised some of their open-source efforts leave more to be desired. Anyway, they're still a better option (for open-source) than Nvidia. All that being said though, I still buy their products whenever I can. I buy what suits my needs, but not much excess.

Meanwhile, I would say one of Intel's best traits is their marketing team (except, interestingly, very recently).

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      I feel like this is one of those situations where BSD users want to stick up their nose saying "yeah well we got Ryzen thermal sensors before you so HA!" meanwhile Linux users are like "and we got it a couple months later. Not like it matters anyway, since the motherboard sensor has been good enough".
      You are assuming the mindset of an average Linux blowhard from a BSD users and at the same time labeling them by the same accusatory sweep. Grow up.

It's not even first time some of the features have made it to BSD first somehow. Shit happens. If you really want some example then TRIM support was present in the FreeBSD kernel more than year before it landed for Linux and AFAIK it never had the issues Linux had with SSD's from certain vendors.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
        You are assuming the mindset of an average Linux blowhard from a BSD users and at the same time labeling them by the same accusatory sweep. Grow up.
        Every BSD user I met has some sense of superiority over Linux. Meanwhile, most Linux users I know have a sense of superiority over Windows users (or even each other, depending on the distro). Windows and Mac users have been ranting about whose OS is better for ~25 years. Nobody is innocent. And sure, maybe it's immature of me to do an "accusatory sweep", but expressing your saltiness doesn't exactly show great wisdom or maturity, either.
        It's not even first time some of the features have made it to BSD first somehow. Shit happens. If you really want some example then TRIM support was present in the FreeBSD kernel more than year before it landed for Linux and AFAIK it never had the issues Linux had with SSD's from certain vendors.
        I'm sure you're right, but you're kind of exemplifying my point right now... you're touting something BSD had that Linux didn't. Anyone who knows a thing or two about OSes ought to know there are advantages to BSD vs Linux (after all, why does it have a userbase?). You didn't need to go into the depth about Linux's TRIM problems (that goes beyond your point), but you did anyway, because that's something a BSD user would do. I don't really care - I find it funny and it's overall harmless. I just like to call people out on it. I think it's great BSD gets some leverage sometimes.

Comment

Every BSD user I met has some sense of superiority over Linux. Meanwhile, most Linux users I know have a sense of superiority over Windows users (or even each other, depending on the distro).
          Just read the posts of Pawlerson, SystemCrasher, debianxfce and some others (too lazy for searching the exact names. Just browse the Solaris/BSD threads and you will notice posts seeping of hatred for anything non-Linux.. You shall also experience compensating dosage of "Linux-superiority" mentality. For every ideological BSD fanatic you ever would meet, you also do get 100 Linux die-hards. Majority of BSD users are actually using multiple OSes, BSD just one of them and are much more relaxed toward other OSes.

I'm sure you're right, but you're kind of exemplifying my point right now... you're touting something BSD had that Linux didn't. Anyone who knows a thing or two about OSes ought to know there are advantages to BSD vs Linux (after all, why does it have a userbase?). You didn't need to go into the depth about Linux's TRIM problems (that goes beyond your point), but you did anyway, because that's something a BSD user would do. I don't really care - I find it funny and it's overall harmless. I just like to call people out on it. I think it's great BSD gets some leverage sometimes.
          Had I not came along with at least one example - it would have brought up multiple(!) major squels - "what? PROVE it". Probably from the very same die-hards I already mentioned above.
          As it was, I figured it's 50/50 chance you go the way of "you are kind of exemplifying my post right now..". For me it was loss/loss situation - I just went with the variant bringing less drama.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
            Just read the posts of Pawlerson, SystemCrasher, debianxfce and some others (too lazy for searching the exact names. Just browse the Solaris/BSD threads and you will notice posts seeping of hatred for anything non-Linux.. You shall also experience compensating dosage of "Linux-superiority" mentality. For every ideological BSD fanatic you ever would meet, you also do get 100 Linux die-hards. Majority of BSD users are actually using multiple OSes, BSD just one of them and are much more relaxed toward other OSes.
            I totally agree - I'm very well aware of all of that. Again, I'm not trashing on just BSD users here, every OS has die-hard assholes. You are definitely right that Linux has more of them. The difference (from my experience) is BSD just simply has proportionately more assholes. Also, Phoronix's main demographic is Linux users, so when you say anything anti-Linux, there's a very high probability someone is going to get vocal about it.

Had I not came along with at least one example - it would have brought up multiple(!) major squels - "what? PROVE it". Probably from the very same die-hards I already mentioned above.
            I can see why you'd think that, but I honestly wouldn't have. I'm more reasonable and un-biased about this than you want to believe.
            As it was, I figured it's 50/50 chance you go the way of "you are kind of exemplifying my post right now..". For me it was loss/loss situation - I just went with the variant bringing less drama.
            Understandable, but providing the examples alone would've been enough. Where you became an example of my post was when you started elaborating about TRIM. Whether it was your intention or not, your elaboration came off as "look how much worse Linux was in this situation" rather than "this is an example of something BSD was once better at".
            Again - I don't care. I don't doubt your claims, and I sincerely don't mind when BSD wins at something (in fact I think it's great). But, you weren't in a lose-lose situation.

Comment

Matter of perception, I guess.

Comment

Working...
              X