WinBtrfs 1.0 Released For Supporting Btrfs On Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sdack View Post
    I was asking this question about the performance not because of Linux or the Linux kernel, but when WinBtrfs turns out to be an effective implementation of Btrfs on Windows then it wouldn't be just some gadget utility for accessing Linux disks, but it would also be a serious competitor to NTFS itself. One could then choose to format disks of a Windows PC with Btrfs only for gaining a better performance.

It may still be awkward and perhaps not straight forward to install and to use at this time, but when it performs well, then it's just a matter of time before enough users pick it up and give it a better interface and installer. Just remind yourself that this is an open source project and is being hosted on GitHub.
    Is it possible to install Windows in a non MS file system?

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
      I don't know. At least not without some serious work, but who knows... WinBtrfs should still work nicely for all other drives (D:, E:, ...) where one can install software on and to keep user files. If I had time to spare would I install WinBtrfs at home and move some games onto it to see how these start up and get along with it.

Comment

Probably not because of the way MS's bootloader works. But yopu could just make a program files folder on it and manually install your apps to that folder.

Comment

I was asking this question about the performance not because of Linux or the Linux kernel, but when WinBtrfs turns out to be an effective implementation of Btrfs on Windows then it wouldn't be just some gadget utility for accessing Linux disks, but it would also be a serious competitor to NTFS itself. One could then choose to format disks of a Windows PC with Btrfs only for gaining a better performance.
          Afaik this isn't gonna happen as third party file system drivers in windows aren't allowed to run in kernel, so they are going to have less performance.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckPoltergeist View Post
            There is an in-kernel driver for NTFS. It was benched against ntfs3g and it showed ntfs3g was much faster. So FUSE is not an argument. The benchmarks I remember, showed ntfs3g comparable against native Linux filesystems and native Windows NTFS. The main drawback of ntfs3g is the very high CPU utilization.
            The "benches" I've done here in my systems (just file transfers) still show that native Windows NTFS is plain better than ntfs3g, faster and leaves files less fragmented (ntfs3g is horrible at fragmenting), if I use dedicated data-transfer programs (that override the antifragmentation system somehow) it's even faster.

Comment

No, for that matter their total shit bootloader can't boot from ReFS, nor from their software raid pools (Storage Spaces)

Theoretically, if it is using EFI calls to scan for Windows systems like a sane EFI bootloader would do, we could just have a shim load standalone EFI drivers (like those from here http://efi.akeo.ie/ ) before calling it.

this is the only thing I've found that has any kind of info about how EFI booting works on WIndows side https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win.../boot-and-uefi

While it is for both mobile and desktop, it at least says the boot manager operates inside UEFI environment, and isn't 100% standalone.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                Afaik this isn't gonna happen ...
                Just what would we do without you?! We'd have to read about boring benchmark numbers here on Phoronix. So thank you for your input. *lol*

Comment

Just what would we do without you?! We'd have to read about boring benchmark numbers here on Phoronix. So thank you for your input. *lol*
                  What I said is unrelated to Phoronix benchmarking. It's not hard to see if you actually used non-kernel drivers like FUSE-based stuff on Linux or Paragon's bullshit ext2-3-4 drivers on Windows.

What btrfs-on-windows can do is at least provide a decent inter-OS filesystem that isn't NTFS, albeit btrfs might not be the best filesystem choice.

I had hopes for f2fs, as Samsung said they would make a Windows driver, and being Samsung an actual company tehey could go through the certification process to get it into the kernel mode on Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    What I said is unrelated to Phoronix benchmarking ...
                    But what I wrote was related to Phoronix benchmarking and you replied to it.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                      NTFS is sorta slow on linux, but it's not that bad on Windows
                      that's a lie. ntfs on windows is slower than on linux. when i was playing wow it was starting much faster on linux(most time was spent on loading tree of plugins). also windows ntfs on ssd is many times slower than linux nfs (note no t) for tree scanning
                      maybe for some specific test case like writing one large file windows ntfs will be better than linux ntfs, but who needs that anyway?
                      Last edited by pal666; 05 September 2017, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X