Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• macOS 10.12.6 vs. Ubuntu 17.04 Benchmarks

Phoronix: macOS 10.12.6 vs. Ubuntu 17.04 Benchmarks

With having the Apple MacBook Air out for the Razer Blade Stealth Linux testing comparison, I decided to see how the latest releases of macOS Sierra and Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus were competing.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hey, thanks for the Mac benchmarks. It was closer than I thought it would be.

Comment

I would be interested in APFS vs. ext4 vs. Btrfs performance benchmark!

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
        I would be interested in APFS vs. ext4 vs. Btrfs performance benchmark!
        me too - make sure ZFS and the current HFS+ is in there as well

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

me too - make sure ZFS and the current HFS+ is in there as well
          Me too! AFPS seems to be a major improvement: http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/...th-space-speed

Comment

interesting that games are running faster on ubuntu!

Comment

One of the cool things with macOS is that the UI is very very smooth. Smoother than both Windows 10 and Linux, I believe.
              Hopefully GTK4 on Wayland will get really smooth too.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                One of the cool things with macOS is that the UI is very very smooth. Smoother than both Windows 10 and Linux, I believe.
                It seems to me Mac intentionally sacrifices performance for smoothness, which for their client base I guess is a good choice (but I certainly wouldn't mind if they gave users the option to toggle it). I'd say Windows 10 caught up with Mac's smoothness. Maybe slightly worse, but it also has better performance.

Is GTK3 on Wayland not smooth? KDE with Wayland has been modestly smooth for me, albeit not perfect, but I imagine GNOME would be significantly better.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  You have to keep in mind, that OpenGL is somewhat like deprecated on macOS. You only get the full performance with Metal on macOS.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    It seems to me Mac intentionally sacrifices performance for smoothness, which for their client base I guess is a good choice (but I certainly wouldn't mind if they gave users the option to toggle it). I'd say Windows 10 caught up with Mac's smoothness. Maybe slightly worse, but it also has better performance.

Is GTK3 on Wayland not smooth? KDE with Wayland has been modestly smooth for me, albeit not perfect, but I imagine GNOME would be significantly better.
                    What do you mean by smoothness here? One of the things that bothers me with windows on my laptop is how "async" everything feels. Like if I boot and try to search in the start menu it's just stuck, but it sorta kinda feels like it's responsive. To me it seems like there's a long queue of tasks that need to be completed before it will allow search to begin.

I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about but to me this smoothness on Windows feels way too much at times. Especially on older laptops.

On the same laptop kde neon feels excellent and responsive.

Comment

Working...
                    X