Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BeOS-Inspired Haiku OS Had A Successful GSoC 2017: Swift, Btrfs, Preferences GUI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BeOS-Inspired Haiku OS Had A Successful GSoC 2017: Swift, Btrfs, Preferences GUI

Phoronix: BeOS-Inspired Haiku OS Had A Successful GSoC 2017: Swift, Btrfs, Preferences GUI

With Google Summer of Code 2017 now in the books, the final reports on the various projects carried out within the BeOS-inspired Haiku operating system are now available...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...SoC-2017-Final

Thanks for reporting about HaikuOS :-)

Comment

I have spent enough time with Haiku (e.g. DocumentViewer of Haiku is written by me) and as much as I like Haiku, I'm not sure how big this success really is. A vulkan driver I would have called a success for sure. Or some better advances with the ARM port.

cipri

Comment

Originally posted by cipri View Post
        I have spent enough time with Haiku (e.g. DocumentViewer of Haiku is written by me) and as much as I like Haiku, I'm not sure how big this success really is. A vulkan driver I would have called a success for sure. Or some better advances with the ARM port.
        Honestly, for a hobbyist project I'm amazed how much progress Haiku has accomplished. It is slowly becoming a pretty decent desktop OS. At some point, it could end up being the OS to use for a straight to-the-point desktop PC. Windows is bloated and full of useless crap, and isn't free. Mac is a relatively consistent platform, but also has a lot of fluff and is [supposed to be] hardware-dependent. Linux and BSD can be made simple but they have waaaay too many flavors and choices of toppings, to the point that it is no longer simple to use. BeOS, however, doesn't do any of that. It's light-weight, simple, and consistent, while still remaining somewhat modern. I'm not sure whether it will ever actually reach that point, but it's on a good track to do so.

I agree a good ARM port would be a great fit for it, except one of the quirks of Haiku is having binary compatibility with original BeOS apps. I'm assuming you'll lose that compatibility when using ARM.

Comment

Swift???
          What about any 64Bits Java? as most Java thing would like more than 2GB of RAM....

2GB is the current Haiku limitation for 32 bit stuff (the other 2GB is somewhat reserved for the OS)

Comment

Originally posted by cipri View Post

cipri
            Well... One might easily see a trend emerging over the last years: Efforts to support Android apps on ChromeOS and Windows. Wine and Crossover on Mac and Linux/Unix. Linux subsystem on Windows. Microsoft inviting Nintendo and others to join their goal to make XBoxOne/console games run on PC too.
            Clearly the industry as well as the end user rather wish to use their apps everywhere. HaikuOS with zero userbase and the requirement to port every single bit manually won't reach any market share worth mentioning and therefore no applications and no productive scenario one can imagine with this OS. When I looked into the HaikuOS forums a few years ago they used to be even quite hostile against the Linux community and Linux itself trying to distinguish themselves ... :-(

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
              Well... One might easily see a trend emerging over the last years:
              You got it wrong, I'll explain each to you.
              Efforts to support Android apps on ChromeOS and Windows.
              Google trying to pull an EEE on Windows using their MASSIVE leverage thanks to the Android ecosystem and the fact that 99.99% of users are fine with a Android-like app, no real need for true PC applications.
              Wine and Crossover on Mac and Linux/Unix.
              It's along while that Wine/Crossover exist, and they cater mostly to the same people (I mean paying customers). Those that buy a Mac but then need to run Windows applications on it, and can't just dualboot or whatever.
              Linux subsystem on Windows.
              MS trying to not lose too much cloud/web/stuff developers to Linux/Mac because Windows sucks ass for development.
              Microsoft inviting Nintendo and others to join their goal to make XBoxOne/console games run on PC too.
              That was about letting people from PC/consoles play in the same multiplayer servers, not a way to multiplatform games. Which is imho retarded bullshit, decent PC gamers will rape console players.
              But again, still MS trying to leverage its (failing) console and its relatively healthy gaming PC market to remain relevant.

HaikuOS with zero userbase and the requirement to port every single bit manually won't reach any market share worth mentioning and therefore no applications and no productive scenario one can imagine with this OS. When I looked into the HaikuOS forums a few years ago they used to be even quite hostile against the Linux community and Linux itself trying to distinguish themselves ... :-(
              This is true and remains true regardless of your wrong analysis above. An OS without a decent ecosystem is doomed, period.

Comment

Working...
              X