Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 WSL CPU Scaling Performance vs. Linux

Phoronix: Windows 10 WSL CPU Scaling Performance vs. Linux

Following last week's Linux/BSD CPU core scaling tests when seeing how different operating systems competed with going between one and twenty threads with the Intel Core i9 7900X, my latest benchmarking target of curiosity was seeing how Windows 10 with its Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) would compare on this system against the other Linux distributions.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Interesting results! Thanks for running those tests.

Comment

great work!

in the future, add MS SQL benchmark comparation, please.

Bring Microsoft SQL Server 2017 to the platform of your choice. Use SQL Server 2017 on Windows, Linux, and Docker containers.

Comment

Originally posted by elbuglione View Post
        great work!

in the future, add MS SQL benchmark comparation, please.

Bring Microsoft SQL Server 2017 to the platform of your choice. Use SQL Server 2017 on Windows, Linux, and Docker containers.

There is currently no PTS test profile available for MS SQL. If someone sends one in and MS SQL is available to use for free (is it?) I can benchmark it then.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          than the tested Linux distribuitons bare metal

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
            so it is save to say : if you use windows instead of linux you will lose any cpu benchmark ...

very good result for us the linux community
            Considering that it is running Linux from a Wine-like translation layer, it's pretty decent performance right there. Sure it's not a terribly hard feat for MS.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Considering that it is running Linux from a Wine-like translation layer, it's pretty decent performance right there. Sure it's not a terribly hard feat for MS.
              Wine tends to run things at native or faster speed, in my experience. Storage performance is just generally better with EXT4 than it is with NTFS whether it's wine, WSL, or direct. Direct3D is perhaps the only thing where you often lose some performance, but you sometimes gain performance as well.

Also, for clarity's sake, WSL is not really Wine-like, nor is it a "translation layer" (except perhaps the Linux VFS on top of NTFS thing). It is a native implementation of the Linux ABI in the NT kernel. Wine is more or less just a library that you link with a windows application to shim in unixy native libraries where Windows ones are called.
              Last edited by microcode; 01 August 2017, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

There is currently no PTS test profile available for MS SQL. If someone sends one in and MS SQL is available to use for free (is it?) I can benchmark it then.
                There is technically an Express edition that's free. I'm not sure how many people use it, because it's quite limited. I think you can only go up to 2GB database size, for example, and I believe there are RAM and CPU limitations as well.

My bigger concern would be in finding a good test for it. Particularly one that also works on OSS databases, since I'd assume that would be one of the things you'd want to benchmark.

Comment

choosing similar reddish color for Clear Linux (one of the best linux distros) and Bubuntu (one of the worst, garbage distros) was very unfortunate :-(

Comment

And yet it would have been nice to have Wine results as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X