Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ReactOS 0.4.6 Is On The Way With Many Fixes, More UEFI Prepping

Phoronix: ReactOS 0.4.6 Is On The Way With Many Fixes, More UEFI Prepping

ReactOS, the "open-source Windows" operating system developed by the community, is nearing its next release (v0.4.6) and has out a release candidate...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I seriously think it's time to make certain parts of ReactOS be able to run 100% as replacement parts for Windows versions. I would be very interested in XP, 7, 10 and Server 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      I seriously think it's time to make certain parts of ReactOS be able to run 100% as replacement parts for Windows versions. I would be very interested in XP, 7, 10 and Server 2016.
      What do you mean, "I seriously think it's time to make certain parts of ReactOS be able to run 100% as replacement parts for Windows versions."? That's the whole point of the project. It's like saying, "I seriously think it's time to make Emacs a text editor" or "I seriously think it's time to make GCC into a C compiler."

If you're just frustrated that ReactOS is not yet a full, drop-in replacement for any version of Windows and asking them to hurry up... well, if you want them to move faster then help out!

Comment

?????

Comment

Someone with millions of money should hire some needed developers to free everyone from Windows slavery.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

What do you mean, "I seriously think it's time to make certain parts of ReactOS be able to run 100% as replacement parts for Windows versions."? That's the whole point of the project. It's like saying, "I seriously think it's time to make Emacs a text editor" or "I seriously think it's time to make GCC into a C compiler."

If you're just frustrated that ReactOS is not yet a full, drop-in replacement for any version of Windows and asking them to hurry up... well, if you want them to move faster then help out!
            Yes, I know. I mean it would be a nice idea to focus on progressively be able to replace parts of an original Windows installation with ReactOS parts while still having 100% functionality.

I know some ReactOS developers already do this in an experimental way to check their implementations against the original ones, but I would like this to be available and easy to do by non-developers with some easy tool.

This could be nice for people that have no other alternative than use Windows but want to replace certain parts of it because different reasons: Resource efficiency, more configurability, security paranoia, extra features while having 100% compatibility, have features of newer Windows versions in older ones (like KernelEx and other projects, but in a cleaner fashion), replace parts they dislike like IE with Open Source replacements.

It's just an idea, a suggestion. Please don't get upset. I just would love to be able to replace parts of Windows with ReactOS ones while stuff working as before or better, just like assembling Lego pieces together

Comment

It's just an idea, a suggestion. Please don't get upset.
              ReactOS already wants to be a seamless replacement for Windows, people in this thread is upset because you are suggesting the same goals the project has already.

The main issue is that it isn't working well enough yet to be used as a replacement, not a goal issue.

Comment

I think what he's suggesting is that instead of the whole OS working as a replacement, the devs should focus on bits and pieces that the community could then throw into their Windows installs.

I would personally like a full replacement myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                  I think what he's suggesting is that instead of the whole OS working as a replacement, the devs should focus on bits and pieces that the community could then throw into their Windows installs.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post

I would personally like a full replacement myself.
                    Not to focus totally at that, but can be a nice goal to show progress and those components be tested by users while offering certain advantages. It's just like a progressive way, replacing one by one the original Windows until there's nothing left from the original one.

I think of it like getting a car, then replacing each part by new ones. Would it be the same car or a new one?

Comment

Working...
                    X