Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft's Windows Subsystem For Linux Exits Beta

Phoronix: Microsoft's Windows Subsystem For Linux Exits Beta

Microsoft's Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) has exited beta ahead of its formal debut in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Files from Linux under WSL are accessible under Windows, the folder is hidden but can be accessed. Folder is:
    C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\lxss\home\

Comment

Embrace, extend and extinguish

Comment

Originally posted by malakudi View Post
        Files from Linux under WSL are accessible under Windows, the folder is hidden but can be accessed. Folder is:
        C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\lxss\home\
        Interesting, I wonder what would happen if you had two files that are the same other than case in the subsystem, and how they would look in that folder

Comment

Originally posted by unyieldingly View Post
          Didn't take long for that nonsense to be regurgitated. Do tell, how could this possibly "extinguish" Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by unyieldingly View Post
            The free software community has been unable to make big progress on the desktop market for years. Chrome OS and Android don't count, they have Linux cores but proprietary software and services layered all throughout.

But on the server market, Microsoft has lost and they know it. Windows Azure offers Linux virtual machines. More and more of .NET and now the Chakra are being ported to Linux. PowerShell is now on Linux.

And even for the developer market, Microsoft knows they're losing. That's why WSL exists, to try to appeal to people who switched to Macs or Linux to write software.

I hate EEE and I hate Microsoft. But this particular move is harmless.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy1524 View Post

Interesting, I wonder what would happen if you had two files that are the same other than case in the subsystem, and how they would look in that folder
              It's NTFS, so normally you can't. (If you do, Windows displays only one of those.)

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
                But on the server market, Microsoft has lost and they know it. Windows Azure offers Linux virtual machines. More and more of .NET and now the Chakra are being ported to Linux. PowerShell is now on Linux.
                That's surprising to me because I thought Azure was making a lot of progress with some vendors like Wal-mart, Whole Foods, etc. I know AWS is still a big game but I thought there was momentum towards Azure.

Comment

The free software community has been unable to make big progress on the desktop market for years. Chrome OS and Android don't count, they have Linux cores but proprietary software and services layered all throughout.

And even for the developer market, Microsoft knows they're losing. That's why WSL exists, to try to appeal to people who switched to Macs or Linux to write software.

x2, Microsoft realizes they lost the internet server market to Linux, so now they're playing catch-up. The only way for them to stay relevant any more, at least in the server world, is to play nice with Linux wherever possible. See their recent decision to adopt SSH.

Ten years ago, my employer had racks and racks of Windows servers, and one or two odd Linux boxes. Today we have racks and racks of RHEL servers, and one or two odd Windows boxes.

Comment

Their moves make a lot more sense if the long term goal is for them to kill off Windows and sell their software to run on other platforms. There's literally no other reason a lot of their recent moves make sense since their change in CEO.

Comment

Working...
                    X