Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drSeehas
    replied
    "FreeBSD 11.1 with LLVM Clang 4.0 was the fastest for compiling the Linux kernel."
    YMMD

Leave a comment:

• UnholyViking
    replied
    Please redo this benchmark, if you need help with configuration of ports/packages/machine let me know and I would gladly assist.

Leave a comment:

• UnholyViking
    replied
    Originally posted by aht0 View Post

Because of "linuxisms" in code (be it even in the dependency) it would not compile. Some of the tests were pure bs in this regard. Why even add Linux kernel compile in the mix when you are testing also BSD's and you would know in advance that none of them would compile?

And maybe it's time to get some multi-socket (4-way or bigger) test platforms, be them even older (yeah, I know, then can be expensive). It would be more interesting than watching single socket system benches, which bring very little surprises.
    I know that the vast majority of the software tested in the benchmarks actually works in BSD. Hell, I run redis and postgres in production on FreeBSD at work. It would be **very** interesting to see error logs.

Leave a comment:

• aht0
    replied
    Originally posted by UnholyViking View Post
    I am curious to learn why some of these tests were not executed on the BSDs?
    Because of "linuxisms" in code (be it even in the dependency) it would not compile. Some of the tests were pure bs in this regard. Why even add Linux kernel compile in the mix when you are testing also BSD's and you would know in advance that none of them would compile?

And maybe it's time to get some multi-socket (4-way or bigger) test platforms, be them even older (yeah, I know, then can be expensive). It would be more interesting than watching single socket system benches, which bring very little surprises.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by Oppenheimer View Post
    The OpenMPI CFD solver results show starting to hit the point that all CFD solvers eventually do of 'parallel slowdown', where the amount of inter-process communication workload has increased to the point it out-weights any gains. The gains for CFD solvers from hyperthreading are generally known to be very marginal, so 10c/20t is more likely to show that effect than 20c.
    It is not uncommon for hyperthreading to be turned off on a scientific workstation. As noted sometime the gains just aren't there, sometimes you even see regressions.

Leave a comment:

• gadnet
    replied
    well same here, why does freeBSD 11 do not appear in half of the tests ?

Leave a comment:

• andreano
    replied
    Originally posted by Steffo View Post
    I would also be interested on a comparison with Win 10
    Win 10 might have a bottleneck in process destruction ATM (such as during compilation) that also affects the user interface:
    This story begins, as they so often do, when I noticed that my machine was behaving poorly. My Windows 10 work machine has 24 cores (48 hyper-threads) and they were 50% idle. It has 64 GB of RAM an…

Leave a comment:

• arjan_intel
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    because bsd is a joke and lost before start
    So how about not doing this kind of snark?
    I have great respect for anyone else who puts an OS together, be it a BSD variant or a Linux distro. Doing this is a lot of work, often thankless and all you get is bugs and complaints...
    Anyone doing that deserves at least that much respect. You can think one is better than the other, and each OS will have their strengths and weaknesses, but hard work it is.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by darkfires View Post
    I can't believe you labeled this article Linux vs. BSD when most of the tests don't even have BSD in them
    because bsd is a joke and lost before start

Leave a comment:

• arjan_intel
    replied
    Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
    It will be great to see glibc benchmarks with a per-thread cache enabled.
    Clear Linux currently has that patch backported... and the version in these benchmarks has that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X