Linux vs. BSD CPU Scaling Up To 20 Threads On The Core i9 7900X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UnholyViking View Post
    I am curious to learn why some of these tests were not executed on the BSDs?
    Because of "linuxisms" in code (be it even in the dependency) it would not compile. Some of the tests were pure bs in this regard. Why even add Linux kernel compile in the mix when you are testing also BSD's and you would know in advance that none of them would compile?

And maybe it's time to get some multi-socket (4-way or bigger) test platforms, be them even older (yeah, I know, then can be expensive). It would be more interesting than watching single socket system benches, which bring very little surprises.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post

Because of "linuxisms" in code (be it even in the dependency) it would not compile. Some of the tests were pure bs in this regard. Why even add Linux kernel compile in the mix when you are testing also BSD's and you would know in advance that none of them would compile?

And maybe it's time to get some multi-socket (4-way or bigger) test platforms, be them even older (yeah, I know, then can be expensive). It would be more interesting than watching single socket system benches, which bring very little surprises.
      I know that the vast majority of the software tested in the benchmarks actually works in BSD. Hell, I run redis and postgres in production on FreeBSD at work. It would be **very** interesting to see error logs.

Comment

Please redo this benchmark, if you need help with configuration of ports/packages/machine let me know and I would gladly assist.

Comment

"FreeBSD 11.1 with LLVM Clang 4.0 was the fastest for compiling the Linux kernel."
          YMMD

Comment

Working...
          X