Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TiberiusDuval
    replied
    I'll gladly welcome Plasma 5 in TrueOS, but seriously Lumina is improving in every update, at first it was quite unpleasant, nowadays it mostly works fine.

Leave a comment:

• cj.wijtmans
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    I assumed
    Bad habit of yours?

Leave a comment:

• darkcoder
    replied
    Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

Remember I don't talk to you.
    But he's right. They switched due to a number of reasons, but mostly to have something that follows more closely the BSD way of things, instead of relying in a layer after a layer of libraries made for Linux, with other OS support added as an option.

I have been looking at Enlightment on FreeBSD and one of the things I found right out the bat, is that it doesn't follow FreeBSD way of doing things. As specified on the FreeBSD manual, an user added to Operators group can reboot and shutdown the machine. But Enlightment ignores that, and ask for root privileges which can only be provided by SUID a binary provided. Even when writing a simple C program that calls shutdown -p now works without root, if you belong to that said group.
    Last edited by darkcoder; 10 July 2017, 07:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TheBlackCat
    replied

All evidence to the contrary

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
    starshipeleven It's true that Lumina is the default and only really supported DE... however other desktops are just a pkg install away, and will work as well as they work on FreeBSD anyway.
    I assumed that with "pick it up" he meant something more than "it's available in the repo just like everything else".

Because otherwise his question makes little sense. TrueOS builds on top of FreeBSD, so it's logical consequence that anything available in FreeBSD will be available also in TrueOS.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied

Then why'd you respond to him?

Leave a comment:

• Luke_Wolf
    replied
    That is very very cool. Wonder if TrueOS will pick it up?
    It's unlikely for them to pull it in directly. They will however get it when Plasma 5 is pushed into ports as opposed to hanging out in areas51... that said it's not too hard to enable the area51 repos you just need to make sure that you're pointing at the repo for CURRENT as opposed to release.

starshipeleven It's true that Lumina is the default and only really supported DE... however other desktops are just a pkg install away, and will work as well as they work on FreeBSD anyway.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied

You go girl!

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Everyone who's ever look at it knows that it uses Lumina. WHY on earth would that have anything to do with anything at all about them being able to adopt Plasma 5 as well?
    Because one of the main points of Lumina is that they have full control over it and don't need to waste their limited resources on porting Linux-specific stuff.

Also Lumina is another thing that keeps them different, that makes them stand out. Really just look at their homepage: https://www.trueos.org/

On the bottom you get:

Happy TrueOS Users

“ZFS, Boot Environments, Lumina Desktop… what more could you ask for?”

Ira Taylor, Senior Software Architect

I mean, that's one of their main selling points and they aren't even hiding it.

Leave a comment:

• k1e0x
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    it's a common way to deal with losing.
    Your not a valuable person. You have nothing interesting to say. Your posts are worthless. Winning? What are you trying to "win"? Case in point.. I know they have Lumina. In fact its the default. It's part of the point of the entire TrueOS project. Everyone who's ever look at it knows that it uses Lumina. WHY on earth would that have anything to do with anything at all about them being able to adopt Plasma 5 as well?

Nevermind.. talking to you is pointless, I might as well talk to a rock.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X