KDE Plasma 5 Making Progress On FreeBSD, With Some Wayland/Weston Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
    starshipeleven It's true that Lumina is the default and only really supported DE... however other desktops are just a pkg install away, and will work as well as they work on FreeBSD anyway.
    I assumed that with "pick it up" he meant something more than "it's available in the repo just like everything else".

Because otherwise his question makes little sense. TrueOS builds on top of FreeBSD, so it's logical consequence that anything available in FreeBSD will be available also in TrueOS.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

Remember I don't talk to you.
      All evidence to the contrary

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

Remember I don't talk to you.
        But he's right. They switched due to a number of reasons, but mostly to have something that follows more closely the BSD way of things, instead of relying in a layer after a layer of libraries made for Linux, with other OS support added as an option.

I have been looking at Enlightment on FreeBSD and one of the things I found right out the bat, is that it doesn't follow FreeBSD way of doing things. As specified on the FreeBSD manual, an user added to Operators group can reboot and shutdown the machine. But Enlightment ignores that, and ask for root privileges which can only be provided by SUID a binary provided. Even when writing a simple C program that calls shutdown -p now works without root, if you belong to that said group.
        Last edited by darkcoder; 10 July 2017, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          I assumed
          Bad habit of yours?

Comment

I'll gladly welcome Plasma 5 in TrueOS, but seriously Lumina is improving in every update, at first it was quite unpleasant, nowadays it mostly works fine.

Comment

Working...
            X