More Vega & Raven Ridge AMDGPU Fixes Set For Linux 4.13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
    Ok...thanks a million bridgman That clarifies a lot. I was making too big a jump in logic and relying too much in CU counts. I kinda figured that it was possible to weld higher GCN and other features on an older arch....( such as taking an Oland core and bunging on it VI improvements and changes and voila you have a low end VI product now.
    Adding CI/VI improvements to existing SI designs is certainly possible as you say, but tends to be a lot more work than scaling the new design up or down as needed. Scaling a new design up/down can largely be done by automated tools, while patching new features into an old design tends to have to be done by hand each time.

So....next question. If Carrizo and Bristol Ridge are VI iGPU equipped does that mean they have the equivalent of a cut down Tonga built in ?
    Basically yes. Carrizo/BR share features with Tonga/Fiji like higher colour compression, Compute Wave Save/Restore (not sure if Tonga has it but Carrizo/BR/Fiji do) etc...

On the other hand I don't believe we put SR-IOV support in any of the APUs, so that is something in Tonga/Fiji but not in Carrizo/BR.

Thx again for the accurate info. I'll see what I can do in making the Wiki page on AMD APUs a little more accurate.
    Excellent, thanks !
    Last edited by bridgman; 07 July 2017, 09:20 AM.
    Test signature

Comment

Thank you much for the explanations, bridgman !

Comment

Ok, I got my vega working.
        OpenGL renderer string: AMD VEGA10 (DRM 3.18.0 / 4.11.0-g8d1610a0f3b9-dirty, LLVM 5.0.0)
        Thanks

edit: It looks like there could be a problem with the fan speed.
        My system shut down due to the gpu getting too hot, the fan is basically at 740rpm constantly
        Last edited by Soul_keeper; 08 July 2017, 04:59 AM.

Comment

I got an odd question for you all.
          Is there any way to underclock/undervolt this beast so it runs cooler and don't wake up my neighbors ?
          I wrote a bash script to adjust the fan speeds, but above ~3000 it dominates the house.
          I can feel the heat coming out the back, like a blow dryer.

any plans for /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_sclk_od to support negative numbers ?
          Last edited by Soul_keeper; 09 July 2017, 03:56 AM.

Comment

Question though: what does this topic do under "BSD, Mac OS X, Hurd & Others" subforum?

Comment

I don't think i'm going to be able to keep this card.
              It just runs too hot/loud.
              It gets over 90c at 5000rpm then apparently overheats and shuts down the system (average once per day). I just can't keep this thing cool in southern california.

My only hope would be modified unsupported bios with lower voltages/clocks I guess ...
              Last edited by Soul_keeper; 12 July 2017, 03:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Average uhbuntu users do not realize how buggy and slow stock debug 250Hz timer kernels are. Amdgpu driver code is partially implemented and old too, see the diff column at kernel.org and compare to adg5f 4.14-wip kernel. Rolling release distributions and latest Mesa drivers are more stable and do work with the latest games. You need to have whole system up to date to get the best of it. Bugs might be fixed in the adg5f 4.14-wip kernels and latest Mesa, so there is no sense to use stock DebianUbuntu/Fedora/etc.
                They aren't realizing how buggy and slow it is because you can just throw more hardware at it these days. Especially for people that dual boot, even these stock distros with Gnome is more snappy than Windows.

Comment

hardly..You just try putting Windows and Gnome3 on some older computer, for example P4 era. You can see precisely which one is more snappier.. It ain't Gnome, of which everything, starting from a login window behaves like a slug.. tried and tested.

Comment

Working...
                  X