Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
    ...and what exactly is WSL ?
    Is the way to Microsoft appeal the developers who needs to deal with linux without buying Apple

Comment

Originally posted by reavertm View Post
      Funny to see "mingw-ized" Ubuntu outperform bare metal version of the same Ubuntu in _multiple_ test scenarios. Safe/poor selection of default compiler flags by Canonical?
      Canonical is doing it on purpose, that's because their masters asked for it.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
        Is the way to Microsoft appeal the developers who needs to deal with linux without buying Apple
        I'm not understanding the part about Apple. Many devs have Apple because they are hipsters, not because it's actually required.

I mean if they cared about performance they wouldn't buy an Apple laptop, or not?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          I mean if they cared about performance they wouldn't buy an Apple laptop, or not?
          Most of the devs that I follow on twitter have macbooks, and they praise the build quality and the OSX, because you can you terminal when need etc.

Some moved to Dell XPS when Apple put that weird touch bar, but it seems they prefer to buy apple instead of installing linux on the laptop and deal with a possible inconvenience that DE might bring or hardware issues

Last edited by andrei_me; 05 July 2017, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Michael the last KVM vs. Xen vs. Virtualbox comparison I can find is from 2015 (Ubuntu 15.10). Is there something more recent, and if not, do you plan to do such a test soon?

As usual, thanks for all the original content. Lots of things we can't find anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post

Most of the devs that I follow on twitter have macbooks, and they praise the build quality and the OSX, because you can you terminal when need etc.

Some moved to Dell XPS when Apple put that weird touch bar, but it seems they prefer to buy apple instead of installing linux on the laptop and deal with a possible inconvenience that DE might bring or hardware issues

Yeah, I've seen this. The guys actually had no clue you can get a quality laptop running linux. It's not easy, that much is true. Then again, the last dev I'd want on my team is the one picking his tools because of "build quality". Pick a quality IDE/editor, but who the hell cares how the box on your desk looks like?

That said, all WSL gives me is a sane CLI on Windows. When I have work to do, I still boot into Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post
                Michael the last KVM vs. Xen vs. Virtualbox comparison I can find is from 2015 (Ubuntu 15.10). Is there something more recent, and if not, do you plan to do such a test soon?

As usual, thanks for all the original content. Lots of things we can't find anywhere else.
                Been meaning to do a fresh one but haven't found time yet, I guess when F26 is out I'll try to find the time/motivation.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

well that isnt fair. cheaper hardware with cheap display is a pain on your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Been meaning to do a fresh one but haven't found time yet, I guess when F26 is out I'll try to find the time/motivation.
                    Sounds good, thanks! Also, eagerly awaiting a nice F26 review. Ericg ?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                      [...]the last dev I'd want on my team is the one picking his tools because of "build quality". Pick a quality IDE/editor, but [...]
                      "Yeah, I prefer VStudio because there's no .configure step" -- talk about build quality :P

That said, I am a bit curious to know if Ryzen results would be similar (it could hint if it is better integrated under NT or Linux).

Comment

Working...
                      X