Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NetBSD 8.0 Is Approaching Release With USB 3.0 Support

Phoronix: NetBSD 8.0 Is Approaching Release With USB 3.0 Support

NetBSD developers are preparing to release the version "8.0" of their operating system in the near future...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The USB 3.0 specification was released on 12 November 2008, with its management transferring from USB 3.0 Promoter Group to the USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF), and announced on 17 November 2008 at the SuperSpeed USB Developers Conference.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      The USB 3.0 specification was released on 12 November 2008, with its management transferring from USB 3.0 Promoter Group to the USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF), and announced on 17 November 2008 at the SuperSpeed USB Developers Conference.
      Dead horses. We must beat them.

Comment

I think bsds are used by people who want to look 1337 h@x0rs. Im my honest opinion, they are garbage that's always years behind.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
          I think bsds are used by people who want to look 1337 h@x0rs. Im my honest opinion, they are garbage that's always years behind.
          One person's garbage is another person's conversion of no-longer-supported, but otherwise fully-functional, hardware into treasure. Not everyone has the same life-situation you do -- in fact, in a world of 7.5+ billion people, yours is an insignificant data point. It's the developers' choices to spend their time working on it.

Besides, in NetBSD's case, their efforts to make *everything* compile and work correctly on *everything* uncovers bugs in the code. You should be thankful, regardless of whether it fulfills your requirements.

As for the other BSDs: FreeBSD is used as a base by Apple and Sony (FreeBSD on PS3, Orbis OS -- a fork of FreeBSD 9.0 -- on PS4), and Nintendo (for the Switch). Yahoo! too, iirc. OpenBSD is used by a rather sizable list of government, research, and corporate entities, including ISPs, as well. I'm not familiar with DragonFly BSD or TrueOS enough to say or find.

"Im(sic) my honest opinion", we have enough trolls as it is.
          Last edited by mulenmar; 06 June 2017, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Well then your opinion is objectively wrong. The 1337 h@x0rs community is no more prevalent on BSD than it is on Linux, instead they have a community that has built up from the 80s that has continued to exist and grow, because people like the way a particular BSD does things over the alternatives, and each of the BSDs is doing interesting and useful stuff. OpenBSD has made wide felt security contributions to the ecosystem, DragonFlyBSD uses critical sections instead of locks and has an interesting filesystem they're working on, NetBSD is doing interesting kernel research with RUMP kernels, and FreeBSD is providing a fairly competent alternative to Linux, as well as THE NAS solution, and TrueOS which is in a rough state (that should be resolved in a year or two) but working to Make the FreeBSD Desktop Great Again.

As to them being garbage and years behind? well, in certain areas yes that's true, but in quite a few others FreeBSD is substantially better than Linux: substantially better sound system that doesn't need a pulseaudio, firewalls that aren't nasty to write rules for, pluggable userspace ABI system as opposed to a single userspace ABI that must never break, proper boot environment handling with ZFS instead of just "lemme take a snapshot", and until systemd a better init system, I really could go on if I wanted...

FreeBSD's main limitations are really just that hardware support is more spotty than Linux, particularly as regards AMD right now (which is being worked on), and Desktop Environments lagging behind which is entirely due to manpower issues.

Now as to NetBSD there really isn't a reason you should be running this on a desktop.

Comment

want to look 1337 h@x0rs.
              What? Are you a child? No-one speaks like that any more. In future, please prefer to use the term "Tech savvy", otherwise you will simply embarrass yourself and those that have to listen to you.

Comment

I think bsds are used by people who want to look 1337 h@x0rs.
                Yeah, all those "Veteran Unix Admins" that hate systemd and fled there are hurting BSDs reputation lately.

But they aren't the only bsd users.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                  substantially better sound system that doesn't need a pulseaudio
                  More like "it's good if you don't mind missing some advanced features like bluetooth audio" (or maybe 5.1 or 7.1 setups, I don't remember). Pulse and JACK bridged the gap.

proper boot environment handling with ZFS instead of just "lemme take a snapshot"
                  Could you elaborate a bit more on this? I have no idea of what you are talking about here and I'm curious.
                  Last edited by starshipeleven; 06 June 2017, 01:57 PM.

Comment

You could argue the exact same about linux users. If you don't like it, no one makes you to be here.

Comment

Working...
                    X