Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aht0
    replied
    Well, waiting for a new image release. Been more than month now. Built 'newer' TrueOS from git, met some issues but Server felt pretty solid and I am beginning to really like OpenRC init and ZFS in combination.

Leave a comment:

• cj.wijtmans
    replied
    mine never forgot EFI settings...

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
    mine does boot "bootx64.efi" properly. but how i wish it would allow me to select an image to boot and manage entries..
    It could be worse, there is people whose UEFI firmware suddenly decides to forget the settings set by efibootmgr and decides to default on booting Windows on its own, too.

In my HP laptop I have a similar issue (it suddenly forgets the settings and boots Windows, and Windows can't be involved because I didn't boot it before the incident) I had to rename Microsoft folder AND place rEFInd as bootx64.efi to get it to boot my bootloader.
    AND also set windows boot loader path manually in rEFInd because the goddamn EFI is unable to detect it AT ALL if I rename the folder, and rEFInd can't do much about that.

Ah, but at least I can select what efi file to boot if I stop boot with F9 (I can't save that selection though, it's one-time only), so there is that.

Also my desktop PC forgets efi settings (although it happens more rarely) and is reliable only with bootx64.efi

*facepalm*

Leave a comment:

• cj.wijtmans
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    This is actually a UEFI issue, so it affects Linux too. Seems like most UEFI are hard-coded to default on booting Windows bootloader if confused, but quite a few don't.

Theoretically the UEFI system should look and boot by default the file in /EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi (or bootx32.efi if your UEFI is 32 bit), but some boards don't do that.

Also, some UEFI systems allow you to boot manually from an EFI file in any partition they can read (FAT32 ones), you select the folders and then the binary.

Some of those also allow you to add boot entries in a similar way.

Zod knows I hate UEFI. So much potential and so much a fucking huge mess.
    mine does boot "bootx64.efi" properly. but how i wish it would allow me to select an image to boot and manage entries..

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
    Ryzen works with it yes, however you should be aware that under some UEFI systems the installer will add the requisite files to the efi boot partition but isn't able to set up the entry in the EEPROM (because UEFI is stupid as hell and requires that instead of just reading off the stupid partition... for reasons...), so you may have to use another utility to set up said entry.
    This is actually a UEFI issue, so it affects Linux too. Seems like most UEFI are hard-coded to default on booting Windows bootloader if confused, but quite a few don't.

Theoretically the UEFI system should look and boot by default the file in /EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi (or bootx32.efi if your UEFI is 32 bit), but some boards don't do that.

Also, some UEFI systems allow you to boot manually from an EFI file in any partition they can read (FAT32 ones), you select the folders and then the binary.

Some of those also allow you to add boot entries in a similar way.

Zod knows I hate UEFI. So much potential and so much a fucking huge mess.

Leave a comment:

• Luke_Wolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Henriques View Post
    Someone knows if Ryzen 5 will work on it?
    Ryzen works with it yes, however you should be aware that under some UEFI systems the installer will add the requisite files to the efi boot partition but isn't able to set up the entry in the EEPROM (because UEFI is stupid as hell and requires that instead of just reading off the stupid partition... for reasons...), so you may have to use another utility to set up said entry.

Leave a comment:

• Henriques
    replied
    Someone knows if Ryzen 5 will work on it?

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic TrueOS Evolving Its "Stable" Release Cycle

TrueOS Evolving Its "Stable" Release Cycle

Phoronix: TrueOS Evolving Its "Stable" Release Cycle

TrueOS, the FreeBSD-derived operating system originally known as PC-BSD, has changed its -STABLE cycle practices...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X