Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD Made Progress In Q1'2017 On Linuxulator, Nearly 30k Ports

Phoronix: FreeBSD Made Progress In Q1'2017 On Linuxulator, Nearly 30k Ports

The FreeBSD team has published their quarterly status report to reflect the progress made by this open-source operating system during Q1'2017...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Any progress on Broadwell Skylake Intel GPUs?

Comment

Originally posted by slacka View Post
      Laptop? Easy enouhg to get around it in PC's. HTPC-grade dedicated graphics card is something like 20-30 bucks. ~1/10 of the cost of proper i7. In server install, just use Vesa driver, it can be tuned much faster actually..

Linux syscalls in question:
      execveat - in progress to be added (It first appeared in linux kernel 3.19)
      preadv, pwritev - added recently (both were broken in Linux 4.7 itself not that long a go. Both seems to have make their debute in linux 2.6.30)
      Last edited by aht0; 15 May 2017, 02:38 PM.

Comment

If FreeBSD gain support for Intel Skylake GPU and my WiFi - I really consider use it to replace Linux. I can use FreeBSD, it has all I need (yeah, without these 2 things) and I like it for simplicity, light weigh and architecture. For now I'm forced to use it only on virtual machine.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post
          If FreeBSD gain support for Intel Skylake GPU
          By then the "latest" hardware will have come out and FreeBSD is unlikely to support it yet. You will never win with this. I highly recommend you instead buy the hardware suited to the operating system you want to run. After all, as consumers we would not buy a random Intel box and expect Mac OS X or AIX to run on it either.

That said, running BSD and Linux in a VM (i.e Hyper-V) on Windows does have its merits. Perfect hardware compatibility for one. Think of it as a proprietary hardware compatibility layer
          Last edited by kpedersen; 15 May 2017, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

By then the "latest" hardware will have come out and FreeBSD is unlikely to support it yet. You will never win with this. I highly recommend you instead buy the hardware suited to the operating system you want to run. After all, as consumers we would not buy a random Intel box and expect Mac OS X or AIX to run on it either.
            I think that's actually an important point and might be one if the reasons (not the only one) why Linux had such a huge buy-in from the community, even back when it was still a toy OS and FreeBSD was already a fully mature and capable platform (albeit primitive compared to today). You could just take your random Windows box and Linux would run on it.

MacOSX is different, Apple has a cult-like following by a base of fans who make a point of buying every single product Apple puts out. AIX is... well... not exactly a community-driven, exciting, booming platform, is it.

Comment

Originally posted by slacka View Post
              Check out TrueOS, it supports Broadwell and has been riding Matt Macy's branch of FreeBSD, with other dev patches mixed in, and of course having all the benefits of riding -CURRENT.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

You could just take your random Windows box and Linux would run on it..
                WiFi on Linux is atrocious. It is almost six years and no 80211ac USB adapter works OOTB in Linux. Even old 80211g/n USB adapters have all kinds of unsolvable and unreproducible issues accross various chipsets with in-kernel drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

WiFi on Linux is atrocious. It is almost six years and no 80211ac USB adapter works OOTB in Linux. Even old 80211g/n USB adapters have all kinds of unsolvable and unreproducible issues accross various chipsets with in-kernel drivers.
                  What adapters - and more importantly, which kernel are you using? Your distro-supplied package or something custom built? I'm routinely using two USB Wifi adapters, one on a RPi with OSMC, one on a generic PC with Ubuntu. Both Just Work. I don't even know their make or chipset as I never had to care about it, just plugged them in and WiFi immediately started working.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post
                    If FreeBSD gain support for Intel Skylake GPU and my WiFi - I really consider use it to replace Linux. I can use FreeBSD, it has all I need (yeah, without these 2 things) and I like it for simplicity, light weigh and architecture. For now I'm forced to use it only on virtual machine.
                    Are you sure TrueOS doesn't already support your hardware? They claim "With TrueOS® 11, this includes Skylake, Haswell, Broadwell, and ValleyView."

Comment

Working...
                    X