Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 Creators WSL vs. Clear Linux vs. Ubuntu 17.04

Phoronix: Windows 10 Creators WSL vs. Clear Linux vs. Ubuntu 17.04

Windows 10 Creators Update was released earlier this month by Microsoft as the latest installment to Windows 10. Since it's been a few months since last benchmarking the "Windows Subsystem for Linux" (WSL), a.k.a. "Bash for Windows", here are some fresh benchmarks of Ubuntu atop Windows 10 Creators Update vs. Intel's Clear Linux vs. Ubuntu 17.04.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'd be curious to see the same results with one of your Ryzens. To my knowledge there aren't really any benchmarks out there comparing the two OSes, and I have a suspicion that Ryzen is running much slower under Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      I'd be curious to see the same results with one of your Ryzens. To my knowledge there aren't really any benchmarks out there comparing the two OSes, and I have a suspicion that Ryzen is running much slower under Linux.
      Prior to 4.10, Linux won't properly acknowledge the n+n arrangement or smt. Using Metro LL as an admittedly imprecise method, there's 10-15% to be gained going from 4.8 to 4.10.

Comment

The results with postgresql and redis really surprise me. I would be very interested to see the results with Windows 2012 server!

Comment

Clearly the disk IO is slow on windows since the filesystem is wrapped around the windows filesystem.
          But wow their hybrid kernel system actually works pretty well. Not all developers at MS make slow and bloated software.
          Or is there an actual Linux kernel in there wrapped in some nt kernel magic?
          I wonder if this might hurt Linux in the long run...
          If MS would get a good file system and a wayland compositer, they could outperform Linux in its own game.

Embrace, Extend, Extinguish
          Last edited by pracedru; 28 April 2017, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post
            Clearly the disk IO is slow on windows since the filesystem is wrapped around the windows filesystem.
            But wow their hybrid kernel system actually works pretty well. Not all developers at MS make slow and bloated software.
            If MS would get a good file system and a wayland compositer, they could outperform Linux in its own game.

Embrace, Extend, Extinguish
            They basically implemented reverse WINE, without native process forking.

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post
              There is no Linux in it. They Implement the Syscalls in the NTKernel to gain a compatibility with the native GNU/Linux Userspace.

Comment

Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post

This isn't quite true. WINE took the approach of reimplementing all of the DLLs of the Windows system. Microsoft is using the same library files the Ubuntu Distribution uses. They simply implement enough kernel calls to make the libraries work.

WINE can't do that as they want to avoid having users pay for a copy of Windows. Some other project could take that approach, however, as long as users were willing to pay for Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post
                  While having access to full source and docs of the OS they were simulating, and without any giant patent troll waiting for them to make a mistake to carpet-sue them from the orbit.

Yeah, that's pretty easymode, nothing to be impressed of.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    While having access to full source and docs of the OS they were simulating, and without any giant patent troll waiting for them to make a mistake to carpet-sue them from the orbit.

Yeah, that's pretty easymode, nothing to be impressed of.
                    Never said it was. They also paid Canonical to help them.

Comment

Working...
                    X