Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 10 Creators WSL vs. Clear Linux vs. Ubuntu 17.04

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Windows 10 Creators WSL vs. Clear Linux vs. Ubuntu 17.04

    Phoronix: Windows 10 Creators WSL vs. Clear Linux vs. Ubuntu 17.04

    Windows 10 Creators Update was released earlier this month by Microsoft as the latest installment to Windows 10. Since it's been a few months since last benchmarking the "Windows Subsystem for Linux" (WSL), a.k.a. "Bash for Windows", here are some fresh benchmarks of Ubuntu atop Windows 10 Creators Update vs. Intel's Clear Linux vs. Ubuntu 17.04.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=24571

  • #2
    I'd be curious to see the same results with one of your Ryzens. To my knowledge there aren't really any benchmarks out there comparing the two OSes, and I have a suspicion that Ryzen is running much slower under Linux.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      I'd be curious to see the same results with one of your Ryzens. To my knowledge there aren't really any benchmarks out there comparing the two OSes, and I have a suspicion that Ryzen is running much slower under Linux.
      Prior to 4.10, Linux won't properly acknowledge the n+n arrangement or smt. Using Metro LL as an admittedly imprecise method, there's 10-15% to be gained going from 4.8 to 4.10.

      Comment


      • #4
        The results with postgresql and redis really surprise me. I would be very interested to see the results with Windows 2012 server!

        Comment


        • #5
          Clearly the disk IO is slow on windows since the filesystem is wrapped around the windows filesystem.
          But wow their hybrid kernel system actually works pretty well. Not all developers at MS make slow and bloated software.
          Or is there an actual Linux kernel in there wrapped in some nt kernel magic?
          I wonder if this might hurt Linux in the long run...
          If MS would get a good file system and a wayland compositer, they could outperform Linux in its own game.

          Embrace, Extend, Extinguish
          Last edited by pracedru; 04-28-2017, 04:13 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by pracedru View Post
            Clearly the disk IO is slow on windows since the filesystem is wrapped around the windows filesystem.
            But wow their hybrid kernel system actually works pretty well. Not all developers at MS make slow and bloated software.
            Or is there an actual Linux kernel in there wrapped in some nt kernel magic?
            I wonder if this might hurt Linux in the long run...
            If MS would get a good file system and a wayland compositer, they could outperform Linux in its own game.

            Embrace, Extend, Extinguish
            They basically implemented reverse WINE, without native process forking.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by pracedru View Post
              Or is there an actual Linux kernel in there wrapped in some nt kernel magic?
              I wonder if this might hurt Linux in the long run...
              There is no Linux in it. They Implement the Syscalls in the NTKernel to gain a compatibility with the native GNU/Linux Userspace.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post

                They basically implemented reverse WINE, without native process forking.
                This isn't quite true. WINE took the approach of reimplementing all of the DLLs of the Windows system. Microsoft is using the same library files the Ubuntu Distribution uses. They simply implement enough kernel calls to make the libraries work.

                WINE can't do that as they want to avoid having users pay for a copy of Windows. Some other project could take that approach, however, as long as users were willing to pay for Windows.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post
                  They basically implemented reverse WINE, without native process forking.
                  While having access to full source and docs of the OS they were simulating, and without any giant patent troll waiting for them to make a mistake to carpet-sue them from the orbit.

                  Yeah, that's pretty easymode, nothing to be impressed of.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    While having access to full source and docs of the OS they were simulating, and without any giant patent troll waiting for them to make a mistake to carpet-sue them from the orbit.

                    Yeah, that's pretty easymode, nothing to be impressed of.
                    Never said it was. They also paid Canonical to help them.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X