Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TrueOS 20170424 Stable Update

Phoronix: TrueOS 20170424 Stable Update

For those wishing to try out the FreeBSD-based desktop-focused TrueOS operating system, formerly known as PC-BSD, there is a new stable release...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...TABLE-20170424

With this ISO I get blank screen after the kernel boots, the system is unresponsive, tried on Athlon64 with Radeon HD6870. The last 2 ISO worked but would only install with basic video driver (modesetting/vesa), but even after the install the bootloader would have some weird MBR issue and OS would never boot. I was never able to choose Radeon driver during install either, the install always hangs.

Comment

No more text installer!? A server OS without a text installer?

Comment

Originally posted by danboid View Post
        No more text installer!? A server OS without a text installer?
        If you want the text installer, why would you chose this over vanilla FreeBSD?

Comment

hax0r, does FreeBSD support your card?

Comment

Originally posted by Geopirate View Post

If you want the text installer, why would you chose this over vanilla FreeBSD?

TrueOS used to be the name of the server-focused distro equivalent to PC-BSD. Now TrueOS and PC-BSD have amalgamated so there is only TrueOS which is trying to cater for both use cases. If this was PC-BSD (ie a desktop-focused distro) losing its text installer, I wouldn't think it mattered that much but it seems they are trying to target servers too and so a text install option is a must. Most servers don't have monitors attached and so most/all installation and admin happens via SSH, usually.

IMO TrueOS should just focus on being the Ubuntu/Mint of FreeBSD. I don't know why anyone would want to use TrueOS on a server over FreeBSD, no.

Comment

I tried TrueOS 2017-04-21 but it couldn't detect my hybrid Intel/NVidia GPU. Hope this new release fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Felipe View Post
                I tried TrueOS 2017-04-21 but it couldn't detect my hybrid Intel/NVidia GPU. Hope this new release fix it.
                This release has nothing to do with it. FreeBSD is the part that effects it the most.

Comment

Originally posted by danboid View Post

IMO TrueOS should just focus on being the Ubuntu/Mint of FreeBSD. I don't know why anyone would want to use TrueOS on a server over FreeBSD, no.
                  It's nice when the default install is ready to go and be configured.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post

This release has nothing to do with it. FreeBSD is the part that effects it the most.
                    Well, I just though on it because of this line from the post:

TrueOS changes in this stable update include NVIDIA/driver detection fixes [...]

Comment

Working...
                    X