No announcement yet.

Benchmarks Of Solus vs. Other Linux Distributions & BSDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Althought it's not the very first in performance according to these tests, in my personal experience, Solus was the more responsive distro in my old notebook. Programs used to open instantly. And the UX was fluently nice. Really love this distro.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
      I'm impressed by both Solus and DragonflyBSD. I would not have expected those two to do as well as they did. Solus is beating or coming close to Clear Linux (Intel), and DragonflyBSD is beating TrueOS (FreeBSD)

----

In regards to the date-time format, I name it like I would organize a folder hierarchy.

2016\12\31 (as in 2016-12-31 for a file name)

Simple stuff, keeps it organized. Our time and calendar systems are still dumb though.
      Performance is one of the aims of DragonflyBSD. It indeed do a greak desktop/workstation if the available DPorts are enough for the user.

Comment

Arguing about the ideal date format for the Gregorian calendar...

Comment

Arch seems well rounded distribution.

On dates..., it's just a matter of what you are used to. I'm used to DMY with 24h format, and for me it makes sense, most important and relevant information first (day, month), less relevant informationa t last place (year), since most documents are short-term, in long term it doesn't really matter since you have to read it all anyway, and all information is equaly important. 24h vs. AM/PM is another topic, and in short spoken term (per day basis) AM/PM is easier and better to use, when you want to meet with someone on that particular day,a nd it's already 10:20 in the morning for example, you say, I'll meet you in 8, at that location, lot's of people in places where 24h format is used actually speak that way on per day basis, sicne AM/PM or any specification about it is not needed in that situation. On long-term, usually they use 24h.

Comment

Originally posted by ikey_solus View Post
            Some local changes I'm now testing have already yielded some interesting results http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...RI-1704100RI76 (syncing flags + fixing env)
            What did you do to make it so much faster? "syncing flags + fixing env" does not mean much to me.

Comment

How about we stop using numerics for the month and use the alphabet? And i dont mean using AP for april.

Comment

Originally posted by leipero View Post
                Arch seems well rounded distribution.

On dates..., it's just a matter of what you are used to. I'm used to DMY with 24h format, and for me it makes sense, most important and relevant information first (day, month), less relevant informationa t last place (year), since most documents are short-term, in long term it doesn't really matter since you have to read it all anyway, and all information is equaly important. 24h vs. AM/PM is another topic, and in short spoken term (per day basis) AM/PM is easier and better to use, when you want to meet with someone on that particular day,a nd it's already 10:20 in the morning for example, you say, I'll meet you in 8, at that location, lot's of people in places where 24h format is used actually speak that way on per day basis, sicne AM/PM or any specification about it is not needed in that situation. On long-term, usually they use 24h.
                Which day is it in '04-04-2014'?

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

Which day is it in '04-04-2014'?
                  Typo? That can only be the 4th of April, regardless of whether day or month is first.

Comment

Originally posted by eidolon View Post

Typo? That can only be the 4th of April, regardless of whether day or month is first.
                    Yeah i gave a bad example, the numbers should be different.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
                      Yeah i gave a bad example, the numbers should be different.
                      Yeah, bad example, but, usualy, where I am, month is written, for exmaple 11. apr. 2017., but it is correct to write 11.04.2017.. If you know what systen is used, you can easily tell date, if you write "month" with letters (short or long form), that confusion would never arrive.

Comment

Working...
                      X