Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haiku OS Picks Up Mesa 17, LLVM 4.0

Phoronix: Haiku OS Picks Up Mesa 17, LLVM 4.0

For fans of BeOS-inspired Haiku OS, the operating system now has Mesa 17.0 and LLVM 4.0 for the latest graphics driver and compiler support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I still have and run BeOS in a VM. The only OS Microsoft couldn't get to work in Virtual PC post Connectix. I will revisit Haiku in due time to see the updates. I still have my BeOS 5.x manuals and install media. I liked the GUI then, it was ahead of its time. It will be interesting to see where they take Haiku.

Comment

Is that include a port of drm stuff?

Comment

Does it have an update mechanism?

Comment

Originally posted by RavFX View Post
          Is that include a port of drm stuff?
          No. It's just llvmpipe, no hardware support.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

No. It's just llvmpipe, no hardware support.
            Would it be hard to add the current state of Linux's hardware acceleration? Just think of full radeonsi support!!

Comment

Many exciting updates for Haiku here! Up-to-date Qt, pyqt, python, ffmpeg, handbrake, wireshark, LMMS, LLVM...

I've noticed most of the deps for Libreoffice seem to be in place like libstaroffice, libsane, cups etc.

Sounds like its time to give Haiku another go!

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
                It will be interesting to see where they take Haiku.
                With the lack of manpower, funds, company support etc sadly not far. Also last time i tried it the GUI looked archaic.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                  Does it have an update mechanism?
                  For individual packages, the current snapshots have a decent package manager which includes updates. But for system updates, you have to use the terminal and upgrade to a new(er) snapshot that way (luckily it's an automated process after the command so very easy to do).

Comment

Originally posted by danboid View Post
                    Many exciting updates for Haiku here! Up-to-date Qt, pyqt, python, ffmpeg, handbrake, wireshark, LMMS, LLVM...

I've noticed most of the deps for Libreoffice seem to be in place like libstaroffice, libsane, cups etc.

Sounds like its time to give Haiku another go!
                    Exactly! If only they'd add support for Intel WiFI chips and Intel Celeron CPU, then I'd be able to use it on my laptop (which is a 2016 Dell Chromebook 13). Still rocking Solus so far

Comment

Working...
                    X