X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wot no Rust and Vulkan support?

Meh!

Comment

It's homepage and github site fail to explain why this exists. I realise its very impressive that pretty much one guy has created an entire OS but is there any reason for doing so? I can't find a single reason anyone would be interested in this other than sheer novelty factor.

Seems like a hell of a lot of work "just coz".

Comment

Originally posted by danboid View Post
        It's homepage and github site fail to explain why this exists. I realise its very impressive that pretty much one guy has created an entire OS but is there any reason for doing so? I can't find a single reason anyone would be interested in this other than sheer novelty factor.

Comment

It's homepage and github site fail to explain why this exists. I realise its very impressive that pretty much one guy has created an entire OS but is there any reason for doing so?
          History

ToaruOS started as a side project at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. For several months in late 2011 and early 2012, the University's SIGOps chapter managed development efforts focused on building the original compositing GUI. Since then, the project has mostly been a one-man effort with a handful of third party contributions.
          So maybe that is the goal

Here also (among many others)

Heavy focus on advanced GUI, including a compositing window system.

Comment

Aaahhh... So, you refer to the horse race? :'P

Comment

A persons time is their own business. Not everyone's obsessed with five-hundred hour work week.
              Hi

Comment

... 32-bit non-SMP systems ...
                Well... After those two are fixed I think this OS could actually get more adaptation.
                Creating an operating system using one man work force is still a big archievement.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

So maybe that is the goal

Here also (among many others)

http://wiki.osdev.org/Projects?os_num=4

Advanced compositing window manager? It looks almost identicle to GNOME2 / MATE from the screenshots. I wonder why they call it "advanced"?

I see mesa has been ported so is this running X too or has it got its own display server?

I'm just about interested enough to ask.

Comment

Advanced compositing window manager? It looks almost identicle to GNOME2 / MATE from the screenshots. I wonder why they call it "advanced"?

I see mesa has been ported so is this running X too or has it got its own display server?

I'm just about interested enough to ask.
                    No, it does not use X nor Wayland... it has its own compositing window server called Yutani

Comment

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Linus_Torvalds#1995-99
                      I really don't think you need all that much "quid pro quo" in programming - most of the good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program.
                      -Linus Torvalds

Comment

Working...
                      X