ToaruOS 1.0 Released, Hobby OS/Kernel Written From Scratch Over 6+ Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    No, it does not use X nor Wayland... it has its own compositing window server called Yutani
    I'm suspecting word play with Wayland and Weyland-Yutani (a large megacorporation existing in Alien movies).

Like "most know modern compositor" = Wayland ----let's change this, what does Wayland make me think about?---> Weyland-Yutani ---Ok, let's shorten this up----> Yutani
    Last edited by starshipeleven; 13 February 2017, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      I'm suspecting word play with Wayland and Weyland-Yutani (a large megacorporation existing in Alien movies).

Like "most know modern compositor" = Wayland ----let's change this, what does Wayland make me think about?---> Weyland-Yutani ---Ok, let's shorten this up----> Yutani
      That would be, more or less, correct.

Originally posted by chewi
      I think you missed the joke
      Clearly.

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
        5.0 release of open source operating system TempleOS was also recently released:

The funny thing about TempleOS is that it's design is proving itself over time. Nowadays we have hypervisor and micro-controllers at ring -1, -2 & -3 so running an instance of a ring 0 stateless OS without networking might actually be the best approach for an offline debugger to investigate crashes and hardware failures. Sorta like why we're keeping a kernel console in linux to debug drivers, but at an even lower level.

Comment

TempleOS has an notable history:

Per Wikipedia:

Development for TempleOS began in 2003 after Davis suffered from a series of manic episodes that left him briefly hospitalized for mental health issues.[1][4]

Davis is a former atheist who believes that he can "talk with God" and that God told him the operating system he built was God's official temple. According to Davis TempleOS is of 'Divine' intellect due to the inspired nature of the code. According to Davis, God said to create the operating system with 640x480, 16 colors display and a single audio voice. The operating system was coded in a programming language developed by Davis in C/C++ called "HolyC". The OS runs a file system called "Red Sea"

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
            TempleOS has an notable history:

Per Wikipedia:

Development for TempleOS began in 2003 after Davis suffered from a series of manic episodes that left him briefly hospitalized for mental health issues.[1][4]

Davis is a former atheist who believes that he can "talk with God" and that God told him the operating system he built was God's official temple. According to Davis TempleOS is of 'Divine' intellect due to the inspired nature of the code. According to Davis, God said to create the operating system with 640x480, 16 colors display and a single audio voice. The operating system was coded in a programming language developed by Davis in C/C++ called "HolyC". The OS runs a file system called "Red Sea"
            It might just be me, but that sounds like just a bunch of hyperbole. Not necessarily in good taste, but good developers sometimes have weird humor.

Comment

Working...
            X