TrueOS Making Use Of OpenRC Init System, Faster Boot Times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
    Problems with dhcp and booting up were so common with sysv init. There's a long list with systemd advantages, but you should already know this. There's probably no bigger crap than sysv init.
    Perhaps. You must understand, I am talking of my own experience here, not expanding. As relatively little I use Linux next to FreeBSD and Windows.

I've NEVER had dhcp issues with Linux running SysV init. I've had it over-and-over with a systemd linux. And sorry, if the Linux is "ready to go Out-of-the-Box", supposedly - I stop caring if the issue is in systemd or dhcpd. Nor I care about trying to fix it. Especially considering how fucking difficult is to debug anything about this pile of binaries systemd is.

I know about advantages but systemd advantages. But who is the target: sysadmin. I'll grant, it makes admins job easier and does not require as deep knowledge in scripting any longer. No longer have need to build same functionality using custom shell scripts. Desktop-user has little use for systemd but has to fight with the bugs all the same. And Poettering by proven personal characteristic, does not give rats ass about bugs either - unless some bug is really a game-breaker.

Ages a go, ability to do it with shell scripts was considered big advantage for sysv init - because you could do anything like this, guess times have changed. Admins of coming generations have less in-depth knowledge or something.

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
    The worst first impressions with sysv init comes to mind.
    It seems there are many more users who prefer systemd over sysv init. You have to live with this.
    You are taking "reluctant acceptance", "no clue/I don't care", "I don't really like it but I like distros without even less" and translating the relative silence among users as "prefer". It's called demagogy.

There really is no choice but to use it, since it's collectively being shoved down by everyone's throats. People who are really unhappy with systemd have already migrated over to BSD or stuck with one of the few Linux distros not using it.

Shoved down -> not using systemd takes distinctive effort working around it for distributor. This is probably the one of the reasons so many distros went with it, it means less work.
    Last edited by aht0; 24 January 2017, 03:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
      If you really want to hammer more on this, look at Slackware's default init. It's the same BSD's are using. Research-Unix-derived. It works, much better than SysV init actually.
      Slackware is using SysV init, but with BSD style scripts.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post

Slackware is using SysV init, but with BSD style scripts.
        Well, I stand corrected. Dug deeper and found it it does not use sysV runlevel symlink stuff which over-complicates sysvinit, Sort of hybrid sysV /etc/init.d/ scripts combined with a with BSD-style sequential rc. files. You'd still get service "stop|restart|start|(status as well?)" capability along with it like you'd have in BSD.

I remember messing with Slackware, looking at init files at some point and thinking they appear to be be identical to what I knew in BSD.. Guess if it quacks like a duck, it's not always a duck.

Thank you for pointing it out. We live and learn
        Last edited by aht0; 24 January 2017, 04:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post

You never know.., but maybe for the Linux purists out there they may well care to have options. Systemd still is a work in progress and it has its bugs and glitches that can throw new users to a loop.
          True. I should have put "as long as it works" at the end of my sentence.

Comment

I used Debian for 8-9 years on the desktop & switched to Manjaro OpenRC once systemd became Debian's default. I've not had any problems running anything & a rolling release is nice. You just need to remember to also install the openrc package for things that run as a service.

Alpine Linux on servers + runit for service supervision is also very good - never had a single service fail.

Comment

Originally posted by itoffshore View Post
              I used Debian for 8-9 years on the desktop & switched to Manjaro OpenRC once systemd became Debian's default. I've not had any problems running anything & a rolling release is nice. You just need to remember to also install the openrc package for things that run as a service.

Alpine Linux on servers + runit for service supervision is also very good - never had a single service fail.
              Any information on converting to OpenRC on debian?

Comment

@DeepDayze - the easiest way is probably to run Antix Linux (which I also used for years & still uses Sysvinit / Debian Stable) & just add OpenRC - Debian OpenRC conversion.

Comment

Working...
                X