The FreeBSD 64-bit Base System Can Now Be Linked Using LLD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    The point is that they can also profit from it without adding value on top.
    You misinterpreted. I said Sony has given the FreeBSD project money. that's a fact. The second part is a general statement not referencing Sony at all. As far as how much they've donated or where I read it I don't remember, feel free to google it.

Either way my point still stands. OrbisOS is already outdated in terms of where it pulled the initial code from, and it's graphics stack would be absolutely useless as would anything else Sony has modified to the OS - it uses a custom set of libraries and the Jaguar APU used by the PS4 is unique to it and it alone.

Also, SS11 not to be accusatory, but you take an awful aggressive stance on FreeBSD. Do you have a beef, are you associated with any of the BSD circlejerk trolls or something here because you love pontificating your Linux circlejerk bullshit in these threads.

However, Facebook, Netflix, NetApp, Microsoft and more all donate back to the FreeBSD foundation, a lot of it too for this current year. There's no proof that legal coercion results in a better project or more corporate use of a project. In fact the GNU GPL is software Marxism and I believe the FSF will fall apart once RMS kicks the bucket, and considering how obese and sedentary the guy is, I give him less than 20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamBlackFox View Post
      You misinterpreted. I said Sony has given the FreeBSD project money. that's a fact. The second part is a general statement not referencing Sony at all. As far as how much they've donated or where I read it I don't remember, feel free to google it.
      Lack of sources = statement is bullshit.

However, Facebook, Netflix, NetApp, Microsoft and more all donate back to the FreeBSD foundation, a lot of it too for this current year. There's no proof that legal coercion results in a better project or more corporate use of a project.
      More bullshit without proof? Please provide some proof of this.

Comment

Sony has contributed code to FreeBSD (I never checked whether it was actually commited upstream)

As well as to LLVM:
        Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Could be other examples I didn't bother looking further.

Comment

Originally posted by jhenke View Post
          Most likely the more liberal licence, closer to the BSD licence. GNU means GPL, whereas the BSD projects traditionally prefer more open licences.
          Funny how they are quite happy for companies to rip them off by putting their code under proprietary licences, yet they object to GPL projects that try to prevent such ripoffs...

Comment

Originally posted by ldo17 View Post

Funny how they are quite happy for companies to rip them off by putting their code under proprietary licences, yet they object to GPL projects that try to prevent such ripoffs...
            Quite funny definition of "ripping off" if the authors explicitely allow this.
            What do you say about people selling DVDs with GPL Software for substancial money, what about companies running an unmodified Linux OS with propietary Applications on top and making money from that?
            Why is it suddenly more evil if you link those 2 together - even if the work is completely separate.

Comment

Nice, I've been waiting for this for quite a while.

The FreeBSD base system is using an old version of GNU ld (2.17 from 2007), and this is limiting due to having an ELF symbol limit of 2^16, which modern code can easily exceed. This can affect individual translation units (max per object) as well as linking binaries and shared object (max per binary in the symbol table). The runtime linker ld.so is fine, so this will allow removal of a number of workarounds needed to keep under the limit.

Still better than the Windows linker and PE-COFF though; you're restricted to 2^16 ordinals by design there; no working around that, it's a hard limit.

The next milestone will be having clang/llvm work for architectures such as powerpc, which are still using an old GCC 4.2. Having a modern compiler as the base compiler will bring these back in line with amd64.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
                What do you say about people selling DVDs with GPL Software for substancial money, what about companies running an unmodified Linux OS with propietary Applications on top and making money from that?
                That’s all allowed Free Software can be, and often is, commercial software. I make money from Free Software myself.

Comment

Originally posted by ldo17 View Post

Actually, that's not funny. It's the entire point. They do that because the alternatives to using FreeBSD is to not use FreeBSD which isn't any better. In addition, most companies do actually contribute back. In the case of Sony, there isn't much to contribute back with little gain for them.

Companies rarely rip them off. As a matter of fact, it's companies like Apple that we even have a BSD licensed Clang. Realize that most of the large projects are funded by companies and the like as well.

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post

Companies rarely rip them off.
                    Oh, but they do. When a proprietary startup takes BSD-licensed code, and then dies, all the work they did on top of that code dies with them. But when they do the same with GPL-licensed code, at least the code lives on and can be reused by others. Why do you think Linux has conquered essentially the entire computing world, while BSD remains stuck in a niche?

Comment

Any of you idiots that use OpenImageIO, OpenEXR, OpenShadingLanguage have benefited from Larry Gritz who worked at PIXAR, then ILM and now SONY. All the LLVM/Clang/LLDB/LLD and more commits, plus the buttloads of code that SONY owns but licenses to OSL and more is financial compensation.

There isn't a damn thing in Clang/LLVM that makes me want GCC more. I'll take the mountain of work from the LLVM/Clang product that enables Mesa to balloon by leaps and bounds the past two years that everyone of you dipshits seems to overlook, any damn day of the week.

Comment

Working...
                      X