Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BeOS-Compatible Haiku OS Working On EFI Support, UI Improvements

Phoronix: BeOS-Compatible Haiku OS Working On EFI Support, UI Improvements

The Haiku OS developer community have issued their latest activity report to cover what's going on with this open-source BeOS-compatible operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Neato

Comment

They're faster than Hurd.

Comment

Trying to resurect a born dead project from 20 years ago is a big deal. Only a good necromancer shall try!

Comment

I still have all of my original BeOS 5.x materials including the BeProductive suite.

The reference guides were included in the package. I used it quite a bit back in 1999-2000.

There is a great story on how after Microsoft bought Connectix for Virtual PC, the original Connectix dev team couldn't get BeOS to work in a VM. Microsoft wanted to hype its universal support for any Intel OS and were getting ticked because while OS/2 worked fine, BeOS couldn't. Finally rather than saying it couldn't work, MSFT just denied that BeOS existed and told the devs to stop working on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
            Trying to resurect a born dead project from 20 years ago is a big deal. Only a good necromancer shall try!
            The older the corpse is to start with the more power it gives to the undead created with it! Muahahahahaha!

Comment

What does it mean to be BeOS compatible? It is able to run ancient applications?
              Following the blog entries and comments the developers are somewhat Linux hat0rs. At least this is the impression I've got.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                What does it mean to be BeOS compatible? It is able to run ancient applications?
                Following the blog entries and comments the developers are somewhat Linux hat0rs. At least this is the impression I've got.
                It used to be binary compatible with the last BeOS release. At some point they broke that to be able to use newer versions of GCC. I believe they are still source compatable.

Comment

My main hesitation in installing and using this OS is the lack of an Xserver or mainline support for Haiku in Xorg. There is a number of apps I would like to have available. However, I like the fact that they are focused and have a vision.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post

The older the corpse is to start with the more power it gives to the undead created with it! Muahahahahaha!
                    Hmmm.... but the longer the creature stayed in darkness, the more it can fight against its own masters...
                    Dangerous experience those summoners are working on!

Comment

Working...
                    X