Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeDOS 1.2 RC2 Arrives, Still Evolving After 22 Years

Phoronix: FreeDOS 1.2 RC2 Arrives, Still Evolving After 22 Years

The second release candidate of FreeDOS 1.2 is now available, approximately one month after FreeDOS 1.2-RC1 and twenty-two years after the FreeDOS open-source project began...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
      Wonderful.
      Believe it or not but 99% of non Windows systems are sold with FreeDOS here.

I cannot explain that choice, giving a chance to any Linux Distro would be great but OFC most of them will get a "FreeWINDOWS" just after...

Comment

It works!

Comment

still evolving but to where and why?

Comment

FreeDOS is good in some situation where you do not want to rewrite complex DOS based software.

For "FreeWindows" already exist is name is ReactOS

Comment

Originally posted by AppTeF View Post
              FreeDOS is good in some situation where you do not want to rewrite complex DOS based software.

Well ReactOS is still a work in progress, FreeDOS is usable.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
                I cannot explain that choice, giving a chance to any Linux Distro would be great
                For Linux they have to provide support and presetup the Linux for all features. If they preinstall FreeDOS they don't have this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by AppTeF View Post
                  Unfortunately, its still not stable, not even in a VM.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

Believe it or not but 99% of non Windows systems are sold with FreeDOS here.

I cannot explain that choice, giving a chance to any Linux Distro would be great but OFC most of them will get a "FreeWINDOWS" just after...
                    I iguess it is useful for those dos utilities able to manage bios update of several devices, hardware system diagnose, LLF, HDD management. The way to install it into a bootable USB is interesting. I use to create a bootable USB by legacy floppy provided by bootable dos.

Comment

Working...
                    X