Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Sounds pretty uninteresting.

Linux have a great software ecosystem. macOS software ecosystem sucks, everything is commercial & proprietary. The only thing good about macOS is that lots of software from the Linux ecosystem is available.
    Being commercial and proprietary doesnt mean the software is inherently bad or of low quality... There's plenty of open source software that looks like it was coded by monkeys, and plenty of closed source systems that are relied upon, and must, function perfectly otherwise people could die.
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by thelongdivider View Post
      A decent video and photo editing suite for Linux with GPU acceleration would completely my needs without any compatibility layer.
      I mean sure Photoshop works mostly in wine but all the minor quirks or rendering issues are where it really is a letdown.

GIMP-GTK3 and GIMP in general have been picking up steam but we don't know when that ship will come in (I already use GTK3 branch and it's fantastic).

Krita is the closest Swiss Army Knife to Photoshop with Blending Options, Vector, Bitmap layers, Adjustment Masks, Rulers, Vector Shapes, etc... the only major thing I can think of holding them back is their Text Tool being cobbled together which they're redoing as part of their kickstarter this year.

Premiere Pro? I'm no video buff but I'm trying KDenLive and LightWorks.

I would much rather run Photoshop through the macOS version though so I really do hope Darling improves. I check them out from time to time to see how development is going.

Then there are secondary tools that exist as Photo Editing buffs like GColorPicker3, Pixeluvo (An excellent basic photo editor in the style of Photoshop for 35$.)

If Corel or someone else did a Linux release of a major tool I would be all over that.

Comment

Cool project, but I can't think of any OS X-specific applications that I would be interested in.

Comment

Originally posted by thelongdivider View Post
          A decent video and photo editing suite for Linux with GPU acceleration would completely my needs without any compatibility layer.
          Which? I mean blender works pretty well for video editing but it has a lot of quirks. Gimp is great for photo editing, but the development of things like the opencl component have been very slow.

Comment

Originally posted by boltronics View Post
            Cool project, but I can't think of any OS X-specific applications that I would be interested in.
            How about Xcode for iOS development on Linux. Might be useful for getting more OSS on closed platforms.

Comment

Yes to compile for OSX on Linux would be the most useful. But I've no hopes at all, as you also have to test your app etc. before release.

Comment

Hmm, this is the 3rd time Phoronix is writing about my project and also the 3rd time the article is based on incorrect, superficial information Michael picked up in 2 minutes' time. Really sad :-(

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

Being commercial and proprietary doesnt mean the software is inherently bad or of low quality... There's plenty of open source software that looks like it was coded by monkeys, and plenty of closed source systems that are relied upon, and must, function perfectly otherwise people could die.
                  I like Linux, here everything is free.
                  I don't want a Mac, because there everything costs money.

To be honest, I rather see commercial proprietary Mac software not available on Linux, else it might poison the ecosystem and result in more and more software becoming proprietary.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                    PC software don't usually fall in the latter category. Most falls in the former (coded by monkeys), open or closed.
                    Differences are that with Open you can:
                    -know it is shit down to the core and therefore stay away from it
                    -improve meh projects into something reliable (by PC standards anyway).

Comment

Originally posted by dragorth View Post
                      How about Xcode for iOS development on Linux. Might be useful for getting more OSS on closed platforms.
                      How about no?

Comment

Working...
                      X