• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi-Angel
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Over Torvalds dead body.
    Well, let's not make of Linus a hated in the nation. I've read somewhere that in the time they tried C++, it was barely usable — like a slow or faulty machine code, and (obviously) nothing of C++14 features.

I remember reading some mailing post of Linus about a feature to the kernel that didn't make him happy, though good-looking in general (I can't remember what was it, I saw it ≈a few months ago), he put it like "…but I'm trusting to <maintainer_name>, if he thinks it worth it, so be it". I'd expect if there was a discussion starting with a good detailed mail about all the pros'n'cons of Rust, and maintainers would agree to the points, Linus would not hinder to the adoption of Rust in the kernel.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
    Rust's place in the kernel.
    Over Torvalds dead body.

Leave a comment:

• Hi-Angel
    replied
    Originally posted by Steffo View Post
    I respect everyone who writes an OS so far! But I think, Redox OS has good potential to be the next generation OS.

https://www.redox-os.org/news/this-summer-in-redox-15/
    Last I heard, It was compatible with neither of existing drivers. It's a proof-of-concept. I'd rather expect (and I'd hope for it) that Linux kernel would start accepting Rust code. But it's nice to have a working kernel written in Rust, because it would be an important point in the discussion about Rust's place in the kernel.

Leave a comment:

• Steffo
    replied
    I respect everyone who writes an OS so far! But I think, Redox OS has good potential to be the next generation OS.

Leave a comment:

• ToaruOS With Kernel Written From Scratch Is Still In Development

Phoronix: ToaruOS With Kernel Written From Scratch Is Still In Development

Two years ago to the day the most-viewed article was about A Hobby Kernel and User-Space, Runs Mesa and GCC. That hobbyist OS written from scratch seemed promising back then but hadn't heard anything at all since. When deciding to check on the project today I was anticipating that it had died off, but surprisingly, it's still under development...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X