FreeBSD 11.0 Comes Up Short In Ubuntu 16.04 vs. macOS Sierra Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pipe13 View Post

Hard to see what's stolen. Seems NeXT and then Apple have used BSD for precisely its intended purpose. In the "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" dept, Linux is just an also-ran.
    BSD teams bring a lot of effort to make a good OS even better along years.

Apple comes, copy, paste, add its interface and say thanks for all morons, fuck you, see you next year.

Wash rince repeat. Apple, like Sony, bring nothing to the community so yes they are formely stealers for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

Apple comes, copy, paste, add its interface and say thanks for all morons, fuck you, see you next year.

Wash rince repeat. Apple, like Sony, bring nothing to the community so yes they are formely stealers for me.
      That's hardly "stealing" as the BSD license allows that. If one doesn't want that one should use a copyleft license.

Comment

Originally posted by danboid View Post
        Interesting comparison - I just wish there'd been a few more tests performed.

rockworldmi / javan: 11 was released, although it wasn't announced as such. The final version is likely to provide identical results, the only difference will be a few security fixes.

I've been playing with FBSD and the other BSDs quite a lot recently. I'm going to be running FBSD 11 on my home NAS simply because ZFS support is more mature on FBSD than Linux. I cannot recommend any of the BSDs for anything other than server based tasks and for licensing zealots. Out of the BSDs, FreeBSD is the nearest to being usable as a desktop OS but its a far cry from Linux. Forget about having MTP, a decent GUI network manager, modern games and music production software - its devs are simply not interested in multimedia a desktop stuff beyond getting their browsers to work and I don't see that changing any time soon. Linux isn't perfect but at least it can do most modern computing tasks if you know what you're doing.

Saying that, I'm very glad we do have the BSDs as I don't want a UNIX/OS monoculture but I can't see anything stealing Linux's lunch as the leading desktop alternative.
        I'm not disagreeing with you that those tools / games / etc...aren't there, but saying "its devs are simply not interesting in multimedia...." is a bit of a misnomer. FreeBSD would be perfectly capable of handling those things if the people developing those 3rd party tools would compile and design their apps to be more agnostic and to run on FreeBSD. I'm guessing for many apps the changes to code would be minimal and it's literally just a recompile. However, among vendors that sell Linux software many haven't heard of the various BSDs at all.

Comment

Originally posted by danboid View Post
          Interesting comparison - I just wish there'd been a few more tests performed.

rockworldmi / javan: 11 was released, although it wasn't announced as such. The final version is likely to provide identical results, the only difference will be a few security fixes.

I've been playing with FBSD and the other BSDs quite a lot recently. I'm going to be running FBSD 11 on my home NAS simply because ZFS support is more mature on FBSD than Linux. I cannot recommend any of the BSDs for anything other than server based tasks and for licensing zealots. Out of the BSDs, FreeBSD is the nearest to being usable as a desktop OS but its a far cry from Linux. Forget about having MTP, a decent GUI network manager, modern games and music production software - its devs are simply not interested in multimedia a desktop stuff beyond getting their browsers to work and I don't see that changing any time soon. Linux isn't perfect but at least it can do most modern computing tasks if you know what you're doing.

Saying that, I'm very glad we do have the BSDs as I don't want a UNIX/OS monoculture but I can't see anything stealing Linux's lunch as the leading desktop alternative.
          They've got a number of properly designed components that Linux has yet to be able to match: kqueue (which, although way the hell too complicated, is something that Linux will towards as we're now coming to a point where io gets seriously fast--hence we're encountering the c10k issue AGAIN--they're been a bit of progress in the area recently, like adding the EXCLUSIVE flash to epoll_wait, but that's a pretty bad hack), a complete aio solution (I thought we might've gotten somewhere with those when early those year the dev who first architected Linux's aio came back with some additions --- https://lwn.net/Articles/671649/ ---and even Linus chimed in with the notion of making all syscalls async), a better stdlib memory allocator (no,c not the fault of the kernel, but if Linus bitched about it something works probably get done), and revoke.

Comment

Originally posted by javan View Post
            Since this wasn't release, most likely the benchmarks are bogus...... Freebsd has all the debugging turned on in kernel which seriously slows everything to a crawl. Was that taken into account?
            It was explained FreeBSD didn't have debbuging turned on. It's different when comes to Ubuntu, because even final releases have debbuing enabled in significant areas:

CONFIG_USB_G_DBGP_SERIAL=y
            CONFIG_EARLY_PRINTK_DBGP=y
            CONFIG_ARCH_SUPPORTS_DEBUG_PAGEALLOC=y
            CONFIG_SLUB_DEBUG=y
            CONFIG_HAVE_DMA_API_DEBUG=y
            CONFIG_IOSF_MBI_DEBUG=y
            CONFIG_KVM_DEBUG_FS=y
            CONFIG_X86_DEBUGCTLMSR=y
            CONFIG_PM_DEBUG=y
            CONFIG_PM_ADVANCED_DEBUG=y
            CONFIG_PM_SLEEP_DEBUG=y
            CONFIG_PCIEASPM_DEBUG=y
            CONFIG_BT_DEBUGFS=y
            CONFIG_CFG80211_DEBUGFS=y
            CONFIG_MAC80211_DEBUGFS=y
            CONFIG_CB710_DEBUG_ASSUMPTIONS=y
            CONFIG_MLX4_DEBUG=y
            CONFIG_ATH9K_DEBUGFS=y
            CONFIG_ATH9K_HTC_DEBUGFS=y
            CONFIG_ATH10K_DEBUGFS=y
            CONFIG_IWLWIFI_DEBUGFS=y
            CONFIG_IWLEGACY_DEBUGFS=y
            CONFIG_IEEE802154_AT86RF230_DEBUGFS=y
            CONFIG_SMS_SIANO_DEBUGFS=y
            CONFIG_NOUVEAU_DEBUG=5
            CONFIG_NOUVEAU_DEBUG_DEFAULT=3
            CONFIG_THINKPAD_ACPI_DEBUGFACILITIES=y
            CONFIG_OCFS2_DEBUG_MASKLOG=y
            CONFIG_NFS_DEBUG=y
            CONFIG_SUNRPC_DEBUG=y
            CONFIG_CIFS_DEBUG=y
            CONFIG_DYNAMIC_DEBUG=y
            CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO=y
            CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO_DWARF4=y
            CONFIG_DEBUG_FS=y
            CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL=y
            CONFIG_HAVE_DEBUG_KMEMLEAK=y
            CONFIG_HAVE_DEBUG_STACKOVERFLOW=y
            CONFIG_SCHED_DEBUG=y

CONFIG_DEBUG_BUGVERBOSE=y
            CONFIG_ARCH_HAS_DEBUG_STRICT_USER_COPY_CHECKS=y
            CONFIG_DEBUG_RODATA=y
            CONFIG_DEBUG_SET_MODULE_RONX=y
            CONFIG_X86_DEBUG_FPU=y

Highlighted entries are my bet. I didn't read their descriptions, but I suppose they have impact on performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

Among 'thieves' like Apple and Sony you should count BSD lead developers as well. They're paid jerks who work for above companies (directly or not). They and marketing trolls from mentioned companies spread propaganda against licenses like GPL do everything to BSD remain their whore.

Comment

It feels like they did take money from your own personal pocket. Give it a rest, troll..

If the license allows for it, authors of the code have knowingly licensed their work under such and such license - then it's not stealing.
                It's your own preconceptions and inherent greed talking back and making assumptions.

It's a lot like religious nutcases making assumptions based on their personal beliefs about people who do not share their values. Like muslim attacking woman because skirt she is wearing is "immoral" and "whorish" to him.

You are so blinded and righteous in your "wisdom", you can't even see the parallels without throwing it your face first.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
                  It feels like they did take money from your own personal pocket. Give it a rest, troll..
                  You've missed my point, troll.

If the license allows for it, authors of the code have knowingly licensed their work under such and such license - then it's not stealing.
                  It's your own preconceptions and inherent greed talking back and making assumptions.
                  This is the biggest problem with people like you: they have no clue what discussion is about, because they're lacking comprehension skills. The stupid license and theft companies' bribes are the main point. Yes, stupid license allows crapple and Sony to 'steal' the BSD code, but it's because BSD leaders are theft companies paid monkeys (directly or not). It's not because "they're so blinded and righteous in their "wisdom". They're just bunch of bribe-takers who don't give a sh*t about making BSD viable competitor. Ever heard of os x on servers? It's not a joke! There are os x servers and you know why? Because of honest BSD developers. Os x would never be better than BSD without the BSD part it stole. It's legal stealing, because there are thieves in BSD leadership who're giving its code. Got a shiny super nuke? Give it to your enemy. It's yours and BSD leaders philosophy after all. Sounds stupid? And there are also theft companies marketing monkeys who're telling you it's not stupid, it's good.

It's a lot like religious nutcases making assumptions based on their personal beliefs about people who do not share their values. Like muslim attacking woman because skirt she is wearing is "immoral" and "whorish" to him..
                  Thievery and slavery are immoral, have problem with that? When comes to your attitude it's a good example of so called Stockholm Syndrome. Or perhaps, you don't give a sh*t about BSD and you're an Apple leech?

Comment

Kindly point me out the particular law you are basing your accusations of theft and slavery.

Comment

FreeBSD is not meant to be a desktop platform. It's meant to be a stable, secure operating system that performs well in networking and server applications. It does make a capable desktop but that's not it's focus. And many companies do contribute back. Netflix makes heavy uses of FreeBSD and does regularly contribute improvements to FreeBSD (as well as nginx). However, these companies that are contributing back to FreeBSD could care less about multimedia and graphics performance... they want it to push bits over the internet as fast as possible (something it's very good at). And I don't understand all the hate against Apple, they do regularly contribute to a lot of open source projects. If you want to rail on someone, rail on Sony. They use FreeBSD as the basis for the PS4 OS and I don't think they've contributed much (if anything) back. They obviously could help with the AMD graphics drivers.

Comment

Working...
                      X