macOS 10.12 Sierra vs. Ubuntu 16.04 Linux Benchmarking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
    Rather stupendous and suspect claim. EVERY security technique first appears on GNU/Linux.. WOW?

First operating system to support ASLR by default was OpenBSD back in 2003. OpenBSD completed it's ASLR-related development by 2008.

NX bit and stuff directly related to it (executable space protection) has been around "since forever". First concepts and hw implementations surfaced back in 1960's. On PC platform it was rather later comer but OpenBSD implemented it's support year and some months (May 2003) before it's support made it's appearance in Linux mainline kernel 2.6.8 (August 2004). Solaris had it supported back in 1997 btw (on Sun SPARC).
    You get me wrong. I wasn't writing globally, I was talking specifically about Linux and Windows.

Comment

I'd say "winblows" has actually better security than linux on average. Linux is mostly "defended" by it's niche market share and not much else. If malware writers would put equal amount of effort into writing malware for linux, Linux desktops would be in a pretty sad state quite fast. Look how drastic measures Android had to take for making the OS attack proof on reasonable level..
      Everyone knows Linux is much more secure than Windows. Linux have its weak points like X, but Windows have terrible design mistakes which can't be fixed. That's why you have viruses working from xp era. Android just uses Linux kernel and doesn't share same security. It's far from being as secure as Linux is.

Comment

Rather stupendous and suspect claim. EVERY security technique first appears on GNU/Linux.. WOW?

First operating system to support ASLR by default was OpenBSD back in 2003. OpenBSD completed it's ASLR-related development by 2008.

NX bit and stuff directly related to it (executable space protection) has been around "since forever". First concepts and hw implementations surfaced back in 1960's. On PC platform it was rather later comer but OpenBSD implemented it's support year and some months (May 2003) before it's support made it's appearance in Linux mainline kernel 2.6.8 (August 2004). Solaris had it supported back in 1997 btw (on Sun SPARC).
        OpenBSD was even less secure than insecure FreeBSD that was lacking even ASLR.

Table of Contents Introduction Secure by default Security practices and philosophy No way to thoroughly lock down a system The need for extended access controls Extended access controls are too com…

Linux leads in security concepts and mechanisms.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

OpenBSD was even less secure than insecure FreeBSD that was lacking even ASLR.

Table of Contents Introduction Secure by default Security practices and philosophy No way to thoroughly lock down a system The need for extended access controls Extended access controls are too com…

Do you ever tire of quoting the blog which is closer to decade old than not and written by a guy who is pretty clueless and is proven to have personal grudge against OpenBSD?

Want me to write identical blog about random linux distro, filled with false claims, semi truths etc and keep quoting it as an argument?

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
            Such as? OK, lets iterate....
            • NX-Bit... has been around earlier as aht0 mentioned, also, the entire heap and the stack in executable by default on Linux
            • ACLs... they have been in Windows NT since its release 1993
            • RBAC... well, Windows NT understood the concept of roles since 1993
            • ASLR...

...yeah, good joke. On the other hand... sprintf() on bounded buffers in the kernel to make sure it overflows. I'd say Linux leads in insecurity concepts and mechanisms.

Comment

Originally posted by nasyt View Post
              NX-Bit... has been around earlier as aht0 mentioned, also, the entire heap and the stack in executable by default on Linux
              I don't have a time to peek at the rest, but this one is untrue:
              Code:
              cat /proc/`pgrep konsole`/maps | grep heap
              00729000-0115a000 rw-p 00000000 00:00 0                                  [heap]
              I'm pretty sure, neither stack is executable.

Comment

Working...
              X